Potion Partners

Hermione Pov:

Slytherin and Gryffindor were doing a Potions lesson together today. That's good and bad for me and Draco. Good because we're in the same class, bad because we're in the same class! As I sit down next to Harry I sense Draco staring at us. "Ugh, Malfoy," Harry mutters under his breath. 

"Pardon?" I ask then mentally kick myself and bite my lip.

"He's staring at us again," Harry explains. 

"Well, you'd only know it's him staring, if you're staring back," I chuckle. 

'He totally was, has he been perfecting a sneer?' Draco asks.

Before I can reply, Slughorn hobbles into the room and toddles over to his desk. "Afternoon class, today we're going to be working in pairs. A small pot will appear at your desks with the name of your partner on a small piece of paper."

I have a bad feeling about this, I think to myself as the pot appears. I close my eyes nervously and pull out the paper, Draco Malfoy.

"Seriously?!" I exclaim. Everyone turns to me in shock, I sigh "I got Malfoy, I have to work with him all day long and work with him in Potions."

"It's not much fun for me either, Granger," Draco retorts.

I walk over to Draco as if it was the worst thing I've ever had to do and plonk myself down on the chair after Blaise gets up and sits next to another student. "What are we brewing Professor?" I ask as everyone rearranges themselves.

"The antidote to uncommon poisons," Slughorn explains. "Go into your Advanced potions books."

"Is marriage a poison, because you're killing me," Draco whispers. "In a good way."

"First of all, Draco, we're in class you numpty," I scold. "Second it better not be, because then brewing this potion may dissolve it."

"Come on," he whines. "We both know we both already know how to brew this."

"Oh shut up, Malfoy and go get the ingredients," I say loudly.

"The common-born don't tell the wealthy what to do," Draco huffs.

"Shut your mouth, Malfoy," Harry and Ron snarl.

"What are you going to do from all the way over there, Potter?" Draco calls. "And Weasel you wouldn't be able to do anything even if you were right in front of me."

"Students," Slughorn chimes. "Potions, please."

"Sorry Professor," I yelp, I whack Draco's arm. "Hurry up, Malfoy!"

"I'm going, blame Potter for distracting me," he tells me. "If we lose marks for handing it in late can we take points off Gryffindor?"

"Are you serious, Malfoy," I ask shaking my head.

"No, that's my uncle," he chuckles. 

"Malfoy, hurry up before all the good ingredients get used up," I urge him. He saunters over to the ingredients quickly but coolly and brings them all back and we start making the potion. Of course, even though we started third to last we finished first  -with time to spare- so Slughorn dismissed us so we could get on with our Headstudent duties. 

"Why did we have to finish first?" Draco moans. "I wanted to take off Gryffindor house points."

"Because I value marks more than points," I tell him. "Now come on, lets patrol."

"But I don't want to," he whines childishly. "I want to see you try and fail to bake a chocolate cake."

"But then you'd have to eat it," I remind him. 

He shudders at the thought, "I'd more likely feed it to your kneezle."

"Leave Crookshanks out of this," I exclaim. "Or I will poison your peacocks."

"No you wouldn't," he chuckles. 

I sigh defeatedly, "Oh come, if you catch a Gryffindor doing something stupid then you can take off some house points."

"Promise?" 

I sigh, "Promise. Depending on what your definition of stupid is."