Chapter Twenty Four: London Calling

DAN

I had today planned down to the last minute, I told Phil and he approved. I'd never really gotten a chance to be a tourist and now Alice and I were going to spend the day mocking them and being the loudest and obnoxious tourists London had ever seen, and I bet the city had seen its fair share.

"Dan, Alice is here."

Phil's voice echoed through the flat as I was putting the final adjustments to my outfit. It was a relatively nice day outside so I had glasses; it would also hopefully help me stay concealed from fans that were out and about. I didn't really want to get spotted with Alice because fans would start rumours and neither of us wanted that right now. My outfit consisted of baggy shorts, a blue t-shirt, trainers, multicoloured backpack and my camera around my neck. I stuffed a hat in my bag just in case I wanted to look even more like a stereotypical 'tourist'.

I noticed that Phil had retreated back to his bedroom so he couldn't interfere with the date. I took a deep breath and opened the front door; I couldn't keep the smile off my face as I took in Alice's appearance. She wore her hair in two plaits either side of her head, a red and white striped top, navy Capri shorts, trainers with socks popping just over the top, a coat wrapped around her waist, an equally in your face backpack and her own camera around her neck.

We took in each other's appearances and within seconds we were in fits of laughter, we both looked ridiculous especially with our backpacks and matching cameras. What, if people asked we are one of those cute annoying couples who wear and buy the same things to match each other because we are so in love with each other. Yeah that's the excuse we'd use.

"Dan I want to say we look ridiculous but that would be a lie, we look fricking awesome. Now are you going to tell me why we're dressed like this?"

I shook my head and shut the flat door behind me; I offered Alice my arm which she gladly took as she chuckled at my silence. I didn't want to spoil the date before we started; I wanted to see firsthand her reaction when we got on the tour bus I had booked.

ALICE

Dan was never normally this secretive, this was supposed to be a date but I was dressed in clothes that had never seen the light of day in my wardrobe. I was up most of the night pondering what Dan meant by 'touristy' clothes, Carrie also didn't have a clue but helped me pick out my outfit. I remembered vaguely telling Dan once upon a time about how I liked to mock London tourists for being oblivious but why did he suddenly have me dressed like one?

We remained silent on the tube into the centre of London; we didn't get many strange looks because we fitted in with the hordes of tourists who swarmed the tube stations. Once free of the herd Dan and I walked down Oxford Street, we got to the corner and I spotted a bright red tour bus. Dan smirked down at me before dragging me towards the vehicle.

"Dan, what exactly are we going to be doing on this date?"

"Well my dear Alice, I remember you telling me once that you liked to make fun of tourists so I decided that for the day we are going to become and act like obnoxious tourists around London. I thought it would be a nice reminder of London so that you have a reason to come back in a couple of months."

I was touched; I didn't think Dan would remember such a small thing I told him months ago. But the face that he remembered and he had made an effort to give me a truly different type of date only made my feelings for him stronger. I knew I was coming back in a couple of months, why were people so sure that I'd stay out in LA. Dan wanted to show me a reason to come back, he wanted to show me why I called London my home but London wasn't the reason I'd come back, the reason I'd come back is because of the boy standing in front of me. Though I wasn't about to let him in on that small detail yet, I wanted to see how the date played out.