Chapter Twenty Five: Boyfriend?

ALICE

"I was asking if you'd be my girlfriend?"

It was as if the world stopped around us, did I hear him right? Did Dan just ask me to be his girlfriend? How did we go from joking around to serious in a matter of minutes? So many questions ran through my head that I didn't have an immediate answer for Dan. He obviously saw my hesitation and his face slowly dropped, he thought I was rejecting him. It felt like history repeating itself, when I asked Finn out and he stood in silence because he was too shocked to speak.

"Stopping at Trafalgar Square."

The tour guides announcement over the speaker jolted me back into reality. But as I looked back at Dan he was already stood up and making his way towards the stairs leaving me clearly behind. What was his problem? I wasn't expecting the question so he had no right to be mad at me.

I gathered up my bag and all but ran to catch up with him, because no one recognised us it made it easier to slip through the crowds unnoticed. Our date was going so well but now Dan was ruining it by storming off, all we needed now was for it to rain just to make the moment cliché.

"Dan! stop!"

I put my hand out and grabbed his shoulder firmly so he couldn't shrug me off, I might look weak but I had a deathly strong grip. He paused before turning around to face me.

"Why would you ask me that out of the blue, especially at the start of a day out? You can't throw that at someone and expect an immediate answer. Were you just going to leave me on that bus?"

He seemed slightly taken aback by my words but quickly composed himself.

"I'm sick of waiting, you said you wanted me to prove that we could work as a couple and I think we've done enough things to know that this relationship will work."

We had started to garner some unwanted attention from some prying public so Dan grabbed my hand and pulled me down a quiet side road. When we were alone I noticed that we were both breathing heavy and neither of us could look the other in the eye, this was shaping up to be another bad mark against Trafalgar Square in terms of us two together.

I ran a hand through my hair and laughed, Dan was sick of waiting. Hell I was sick of waiting but I had every right to wait this out and if Dan couldn't see that then maybe we weren't meant to be and we'd just proved that we could never have a romantic relationship and it would be better off if we stayed friends.

"That's alright for you to say Daniel, you want this relationship and so do I but unlike you I have a hell of a lot more to lose."

"Pray tell what you have to lose Alice?"

He really was that blind that he couldn't see what was right in front of him. I expected more of him but if he wanted to know everything then I was going to tell him outright and then we'd both make a decision about where to go after this.

"In the space of less than a year I've had enough boy drama to last a lifetime. At first I met you and felt like maybe we could be together, and then you kiss me in a lift and leave me to the mercy of your fans when I didn't want to be found. That drove me into the arms of your best friend PJ, well nearly if you hadn't polluted his mind that I was somehow using him to get back at you. I'm not naive Dan why else would he have Chris hurt me in Starbucks."

I sighed and took another deep breath before continuing my rant.

"Then I found Finn and it felt like we were perfect, we had everything in our favour but there was always a part of me that still thought about you and I never told anyone. That most likely led to Finn cheating on me for the three months of our relationship. Then at Playlist I dump him and you kiss me again but you don't tell me that you broke up with Amy which threw me into PJ's arms for real."