Chapter Seven: It's You

ALICE

Zoe and Joe found the hot chocolate scene hilarious at first, that was until Zoe saw the state of the ruined jumper and cursed like I'd never heard her curse before, she really loved that jumper. Joe said that he should have been there to protect me because I could have been burned pretty easily. I assured him that Alfie made me feel better and that he couldn't always be attached to me twenty four seven.

Once they finally let me escape from their grasp I took my camera and decided to take some photos down by the board walk. I threw my hair up in a messy bun, not caring about trying to hide my appearance because people in Brighton kind of knew who I was now. Gone were the days when I could walk down the street and no one would pay me any attention, sometimes I missed those days, I missed the calm.

The board walk was near empty this time in the evening but the light was perfect, I snapped a few photos of the sea as it crashed against the rocks. It would be so simple for me to climb up onto the wall and fall into the sea, though most likely I'd hit the rocks first which would be pretty painful. I shook my head, I couldn't think dark thoughts like that, I hadn't had these types of thoughts in a long time.

"Come down from there Alice it's dangerous. You might get hurt."

I furrowed my eyebrows, whoever was talking to me assumed I was going to get hurt but I was standing on the board walk so what were they going on about? Suddenly a high wave crashed against the rocks and I felt the cold water splash on the back of my legs. I looked down at me feet and saw that I was in fact standing on the wall, how the hell had I gotten up here? I remembered thinking about climbing and jumping but here I was standing on the wall. Had I blacked out?

"Alice, get down please. You can't give the haters and trolls what they want."

Was I actually going to jump? A gust of wind whipped around me fiercely and I suddenly lost my footing and found myself falling towards the board walk. The scream caught in my throat but I never made contact with the hard ground because I felt someone catch me. My breathing was heavy; I could easily have fallen the other way into the sea. I decided to look up at my rescuer and my heart stopped beating and all I managed to do was mutter two words.

"It's you."

I was looking into the face of none other than PJ; I forgot that he now lived in Brighton. If there was anyone around I don't know what they would have made of our situation. Then a distant memory crossed the front of my mind.

"Last time we were this close on this very board walk that couple thought we were dating."

Something unreadable flashed behind PJ's eyes before they returned to normal. He chuckled and with his free hand pinched my nose.

"You had ice cream on your nose."

I laughed with him, that felt like so long ago but I remembered that evening clearly, I'd never be able to forget it. I realised that I was still in PJ's arms and that he was holding me bridal style.

"Err PJ maybe you could put me down now."

He lowered me to the ground and held my hand as I composed myself. I quickly snapped a photo of him forgetting that the flash was on. PJ stumbled backwards slightly and sat down on a bench, he still held one of my hands so I found myself being pulled down next to him. This should have been awkward but all both of us could so was laugh.

"At least there's no one around with a camera and Wi-Fi."

"Then again it was one of our friends who took the fateful photo."