Responsible

TRIXIE'S POV:

I felt a hand shaking me awake as my eyes flickered open. I looked next to me to see Cody and Daisy still asleep and Hendrix standing next to the bed.

"Hey" I yawned, sitting up. He stayed quiet and I noticed an anxious frown on his face.

"I lost the kid" he mumbled, looking down at the ground. My eyes grew wide as I looked back at Cody and Daisy who were sound asleep. Without waking them up, I grabbed Hendrix's hand and walked out the room, gently closing the door behind us.

"What do you mean you lost the kid!?" I whisper shouted. He followed me downstairs, trying to form a sentence.

"Your house is huge, Trix" he said. I sighed as I walked into the living room to find it empty.

"Wait, who did you lose? Leila or Milo?"

His face dropped as he started stuttering, looking around the room. I raised my eyebrows as he began to laugh nervously, rubbing his hand on the back of his neck.

"There were two?"

"Hendrix!" I shouted, shoving him in his chest and running out of the living room. I took downstairs and he took upstairs as we frantically searched for both the toddlers. The kitchen was empty and so was the dining area. I gulped as I noticed the basement door was open a crack.

I called for Hendrix as I started regretting ever letting the soldiers leave the house.

"What? Did you find them?" he asked, running into the kitchen. He followed my gaze to the basement door and projected the same expression. We both ran in to see Milo holding a machine gun in his tiny hands and Leila opening the knife cabinet.

"Leila, no!" I shrieked, rushing over to her and pulling her away from the cabinets. Hendrix charged over to Milo, gently taking the gun out of his hands.

"Why can't we play with them?" whined Milo.

"Are you stupid?" asked Hendrix bluntly. I punched his arm, making them both laugh and he held his arm, acting like I'd hurt him.

"Because they're dangerous and you guys are too small" I said, ushering them out of the basement. Hendrix followed me out, locking the door behind us securely to avoid that ever happening again.

"Are you guys hungry?" I asked. They both nodded as I heard the front door open. Mom and Dad walked into the kitchen, noticing Milo and Leila.

"Hey guys, are we having a play date?" asked Mom, giving Leila a hug.

"We're watching them for a couple days" I said, watching Hendrix roll his eyes in disapproval. But also because he knew there was no way out for him. 

"Then in that case" said Mom, grabbing Dad's hand and walking towards the door "we'll leave you to it"

I furrowed my brows at her when she took his hand in hers. One second they're fighting and the next they're acting like everything's fine.

"Pick a side, damn" I mumbled as they left the kitchen. Hendrix laughed softly, coming over to me.

"Should I order food in?" he asked. I nodded as he got his phone out, getting Milo & Leila whatever they wanted to eat. I left the kitchen to check on Daisy and Cody upstairs but got distracted when I heard laughing coming from Mom's room.

"I'm telling you they can't do it"

"Yes they can" said Mom "Trixie is so responsible and Hendrix always helps her but maybe four kids is a bit much"

"True" said Dad "are you done packing? I booked the hotel room for the next two days"

"Yeah, almost" said Mom.

"Wanna place a bet?"

"On what?" she asked. I heard the shuffling of clothes stop and assumed she sat next to him.

"On whether Trixie and Hendrix carry out the job"

"Deal" she said, starting to laugh as I pushed their bedroom door open. They were both sitting together on the bed and turned to face me when I walked in.

"You're kidding, right?" I asked.

"What?" asked Mom, looking at Dad who shrugged his shoulders as if they didn't know what I was talking about.

"Why the fuck do you do this!?" I shouted, feeling my eyes heat up as I glared at Mom "yesterday you wanted to kill him and now you wanna act like those six months didn't affect you?"

"Trixie-"

"No don't, Mom" I said, shaking my head as I wiped my eyes with the sleeve of Hendrix's hoodie "before I was actually on your side for all this but now you've made me look like such a fucking idiot"

"Stop using-"

"No" I said, interrupting Dad "you don't get to speak to me when I haven't even forgiven you yet"

There was a moment of silence until I heard Cody crying from my bedroom. I looked back at them both, an expression full of disgust and embarrassment on my face.

"Both of you, just leave already"