My Pride.

I dwell in the depths of my mind, and shiver to my core when I turn on the news. Someone died again. I envy you who walk the streets in freedom and pride yourself on your silky smooth and thin hair on your head. Your skin is pale and gentle. I wear my hair like I wear my crown - with PRIDE!

You touch my hair and ask me why it curls when I walk out of the water. I was born with naturally thick hair. You may call it dull, but I call it MY CROWN. I walk these streets with police officers looking at me and following me everywhere as though I am a criminal. Where is my freedom? Can't I buy bread and milk without being mistaken as a thief or a robber? Don't I deserve to have dignity the way you have yours? I share my thoughts. I'm immediately silenced because a person of color doesn't deserve to have the same education and upbringing as you do.

I'd be an insult, a threat to you and all you hold in high regard. Yes, I am a daughter, son, sister, brother, niece, nephew, aunt, mother, father, grandmother, and grandfather.

I am who I am because I carry myself with pride and honor. I shall use my voice and uplift those who need it most. Your weapons formed against me shall not kill me. Instead, my spirit shall rise, and there will be many to fight the battles we have been fighting for centuries, and one-day peace shall come, and you will respect me the way you do your own because I AM NOT MY SKIN.