Chapter 24:

We went right back to his apartment where we stayed up and laid in each other's arms, we talked the whole night through, I couldn't remember when I last felt this good. Johnny made me feel like a true woman and I could also feel the love in his tight and yet so gentle warm hugs. We snuggled and stayed up talking and neither of us realized the time. I was so busy enjoying his company that I forgot I still had work early in the morning.

My mother must be worried sick by now and I could only imagine what my father might say. But then again, unlike Maya, I'm a grown woman. I chose to move back home because I didn't get to spend much time at my old apartment and my mother was right, it was a waste of money because it was almost as though I had never lived there.

I went through my phone to check up on some missed calls and unread texts I might have missed and they were tons. I shrugged as I see a missed call from Dr. Nicholson. But I wasn't on the graveyard shift and besides there were other nurses and doctors on-call. I doubt he was calling for anything that serious but then again, it was a hospital and as times were now, anything was serious and must not be taken lightly.

"Want me to take you home or should we just lay in bed together until the sun rises?" Johnny softly asked as he playfully caressed my neck, I squeaked.

Never has a man made me feel this way, so loved and so appreciated. I'm not one to sing praises of how good any man is or everything they did. But it was true, Johnny was someone whom I could depend on. Someone whom I could talk to, someone whom I could share anything and everything with. A man who loved me for who and what I am, with him I don't have to pretend and be what I was not. I could laugh as loud as I could with him, stay up till late and just talk about anything. He made me feel at my safest.

"It's best if I go home right now because as you already know, I have an early shift tomorrow morning." I sighed to think of the long hours I will have to put in the next day, morning's as well as night shifts were the craziest and most active. Some are even crazier than the first but all cases I have learned to treat as the same, there was never a dull moment when one doesn't face different situations at the hospital. But, the one that stuck to me most was what Destiny had to go through, to be treated so poorly and with so much hate by ones own colleague was the worst feeling.

I know because I once went through the same thing, my first ride at the hospital wasn't exactly as smooth as I hoped it would be. Like the same day of school I always pictured it as warm and exciting. I was so excited I can recall, but then there was always that one person who shows you nothing but a lack of humanity and kindness, and they said we were the savages, yeah right.

I got into my jeans and quickly put on my t-shirt, I was so embarrassed and asked him to turn around while I got into my clothes. This was my first time in a long while of being with a man again. Yes, I know, I was more of the type who doesn't rush into things just because most girls I know that was my age group did.

I prefer to go into everything with feelings and getting to know a person's soul first before I give them my body. I understood when my grandmother once told me that a woman's body was her Temple, and that a young woman shouldn't give herself easily to just any man. Aside from having a crush on him, I knew that Johnny had so much in him. It's crazy but I knew just by a simple gaze in his eyes that he was kind and compassionate, and it was true, so many people adored him and believe me, everyone in my community either hates the police or is terrified of them. But not with Johnny though, most people knew that he was a good soul and they loved him for it, unlike other's, he doesn't see colour. He just sees a normal human being as it should.

He chuckled with his back turned, I know he must think that I may be weird, but I just couldn't afford for him to see me like this, it was enough that I laid in his arms and behaved as I did. In some way I was very shy even though I don't display that very often. I sometimes sit and wonder, Johnny could have any woman he wanted, but why choose me when there are so many other pretty, no, gorgeous women to choose from, some his parents would even adore more? I was just your ordinary plain Jane. I didn't care much for going out nor being social and popular. A good show to binge watch on and a nice and cosy blanket in front of the television while laying on the couch was more than enough for me.

"You are the weirdest and most wonderful human being I have ever met in my life," he turned around as soon as I was finished dressing myself, he wrapped his arms around my frame as he kissed me softly against the forehead and whispered gently. "And that is why I love you so much."

After the wonderful night we had spent together. I was up in the clouds and floating, I felt so warm inside and this feeling I did not want for it to ever go away. I enjoyed every moment of this, I shivered as I can still imagine his arms around me and holding me close to him. I couldn't help but smile, and when he called me earlier I melted. His voice was my favorite sound, he could say the stupidest of things and still I would fall into his arms. "Earth to Drew!" I startled at the clap of Eddy's hands near my face. I snapped back and it was as though a flash had came across my eyes.

"Yes, yes, what is it my dearest Eddy?" I asked, smiling. And here it comes, what I have been dreading was his questioning. Yay me!

He shook his head calmly with a cheeky grin, and I can already see a speech coming my way. "I knew that policeman had something to do with your glow today, good for you. Good for you." He joked.