Chapter 25:

I had returned home and had a good meal as always, my mother always made sure of that and the company was something that I always enjoyed. There was a certain calm and peace when it came to home, my family was the pillar of my strength. My reason for doing what I do and my reason for always believing. I think it's my mother mostly because she has always pushed me to do what I wanted and she always told me there is no such a thing as “I can't” and she was right, like always. But, you never tell your mother that openly. You always keep that in the back of your head, especially with the one I have. To admit that she was right about something, you won't live it down. Every chance she gets she would throw it into your face and laugh, just ask my dad. But men should always know that the wife will always be right, and that is not up for any discussion or debate.

I piled the dishes onto one another while Sam and Maya helped me clear out the table. We wanted our mother to sit and relax in front of the television for the night, and like a good sport. My father never complained as long as he could just sit and listen to the radio as he heard the soccer broadcasting live. It broke my mother's heart and she decided in the goodness of her heart to switch the tv to the sport channel, I loved how they compromised. I couldn't help but stare as she snuggled with my father on the couch as they were watching soccer. Oh how they love each other so, it gave me such a warm and comforting feeling inside knowing that true love does exist.

To be with someone who knew every bit of flaw you have, and still they love you like the first day. That is what I always wanted for myself and that is what I also found in Johnny, and everyday I go down on my knees and thank the Lord for giving me someone as sweet and kind as he. It's a true blessing when you find someone who can see beyond everything, and still love you and every inch of you that you don't even love about yourself.

"Come Drew, we've been waiting here for you, stop daydreaming so much," I chuckled, sticking my tongue out at little Sam and rolling my eyes. We weirdly loved being teased by one another. But mostly we loved picking on Maya and Jamal. They were so in love and still I didn't know how my father could not see it, but it was for the better that he remained in the dark, as grown as I am. I'm still afraid to tell him Johnny and I are seeing each other. "Mom and dad are like Maya and Jamal, they are so in love, it's gross, you should see them Drew." Sam added, I peeked over at Maya as she hid her face behind the plate, does she not know that she makes it obvious almost every other day? It's actually very funny that she thinks we can't see them.

After we cleaned, dried and put the dishes away, Maya went up to her bedroom while Sam and I went back to his, and of course we took some of Brenda's treats with us from the pantry. We can only hope my mother won't notice since it's been well hidden, ugh, I just know somehow I will get all the blame tomorrow morning. "Don't make a noise Sam, remember your ninja skills."

He chuckled softly as we were sneaking out the sweet treats from the pantry. We thread lightly across the kitchen, we were heading for his room to devour all these heavenly goods. If I could, I'd live in Brenda's bakery for an eternity, our entire house is weirdly obsessed with her treats. It was always in the way she made them, and her bakery was nothing but warm and one could feel the love whenever you'd walk in. "It's you who I'm worried about my beautiful Drew. You are always so clumsy and they even let you work inside a hospital." He joked, I bit down hard onto my bottom lip, avoiding to burst out in laughter.

We finally reached the inside of Sam's bedroom. His room was your typical twelf-year-old boy's, and the car posters were something I grew accustomed to. This was actually the first time in a long while he allowed me into his bedroom and have a chat, on a normal day, he would never. I'd be forced to stay outside because, “It's a man cave and there were no girls allowed.” A big eye roll, and of course, his game set was always near, he was the worst when it came to playing his game in the living room, there was just no stopping him.

I got a quick peek at the photo he kept next to his bed, I smiled as I turned my attention back to the treats. "It's a photo of you, you silly human." He smiled. Who knew that one day my photo would be anywhere near or even inside my little brother's bedroom? Among all those car and game posters even, my face was beside his bed.

And here I was thinking that my little brother hated me and thought I was annoying, at his age I was crazy and giving my mom the run for her money, purposely. But, that little fact she doesn't need to know or else I wouldn't be hearing the end of it.

I could not believe it, who would have thought that my face would be anywhere in my little brother's bedroom. Sam wasn't one to talk much and I appreciated the fact that he thought of me enough to put my face next to his bed. He was practically my baby, there wasn't a thing on this earth I won't do for him and Maya, they were my world. I saw them grow up in front of my eyes and what a journey it has been, "I know, and I appreciate it so much, you have no idea what it means to me, thank you baby." He nods as he threw himself onto his bed, now let my mother see this and there will be hell to pay. I am way too soft on Maya and Sam, and that is why I think they take so much advantage of me, but as long as they were happy then so am I.

I sat upright on his bed, stretching out my legs and the delicious treats of Brenda's were in between the bed, and like always, her favourite Brenda's ham mooncakes, and what a treat it was, I could see in every bite how excited Sam got. "Mmm, we should move into Brenda's bakery, just me and you Drew," see, even Sam thought it was a great idea, to live in Brenda's bakery would honestly be the greatest move, we could eat and not get fat if that's even possible. "Hey, Drew." I could see, his expression began to change, and I sensed that he wanted to tell me something.

"Yes, what's wrong Sam?" By his tone I could sense that whatever he wanted to discuss was important. Even though he is still so young, he understood so much of this world we were trying to shield both him and Maya from.

He sighed aloud, and suddenly he was quiet. "I dreamt of grandma," he said, then silence followed yet again. "She said she is cleaning out a room for me. Don't worry okay, grandma promised me that everything will be alright." I didn't know what he meant, or maybe I was just acting a fool. It was the look in his face that said everything. A look I had never seen before and it scared me.