Chapter 7:

It didn't really slip my mind that I was sent to Chinatown by my mom for a reason. Johnny took Chi-Chi safely back home in his van and she insisted I accompany them, and not long after we were driving back to Brenda's. Time had passed me by and I had only a few minutes to get there before my lunch break was over. Johnny spoke a lot on the way and I liked that he wasn't shy.

He had too much to talk about and to share. He also asked about Jamal and if he had woken yet, I guess they don't share much on the force. Was he fishing around for information so he could report back to his superiors? I had mixed feelings when it came to him, there was something inside of me that said I should trust him. He looked sincere and his kindness showed in so many ways.

We stopped just outside of Brenda's bakery, I went inside thinking that he must be gone by now and the weirdest thing is that I kept wondering if he had a girlfriend or not. Oh how I wanted to ask him but I'd sound way too forward and speaking out of term. It's best not to know Drew. Brenda gave me an earful about waiting for me for so long and immediately calmed and understood as soon as I told her why I couldn't come on time. Like myself, everyone was very fond of Chi-Chi. She was like everyone's grandma, the kindness, love and affection she displayed towards everyone was enough to make one feel like one belonged in this crazy and cruel world.

When I got outside ready to grab a cab, minding my business I heard a whistle and was surprised to see Johnny waiting outside. I thought he already left for the station and that he'd be gone by the time I left. "Want a ride back?" He asked, and there it was again, those lovely deep dimples, why was he smiling even? How I could melt in those masculant arms of his, no Drew. Stop all this daydreaming and focus on more important matters. He was just like any other man, you don't have to be so awkward or weird whenever he was near. And, he has no right to see me be shy in front of him, No right!

I inhaled then exhaled before going into the passenger seat. "You know you're starting to annoy me, why don't you go back to work. Do they pay you for stalking hard working citizens?" I joked, and yet again, jokes was not my biggest forte.

He playfully stuck out his tongue and shook his head, dear Lord he reminded me so much of Sam whenever he didn't get his way. "Well, if they put on more pretty nurses like yourself on the force then maybe I would stay put, and never moving a muscle." I flushed, oh no, it was too late to hide it, he saw me. Why didn't you look outside the window like a normal person Drew? What must he be thinking of me right now? I shrug into the seat, uncomfortable and nervous, wait.. why was I nervous now?

I flinched as he flicked my forehead playfully, thinking that I now have a grown Sam with me in the car. I rolled my eyes and leaned with my elbow against the rolled down window. Imagine driving in a police vehicle like this around my neighbourhood, people would think the worse and they would immediately assume that I'm being detained, I chuckled at the thought. "Mind sharing the joke?" He asked, his eyes narrowing in on mine and time again, he would look at the road.

I smiled with my eyes on the colourful plastic bag with Brenda's bakery logo on it. I was waiting for a call from the hospital and by now I know they must be running wild. There was never a dull moment, everyday was something new and different, some cases were hilarious even.

There was a small boy coming in the other day claiming that he had a poisonous snake bite and that he must be admitted. It turned out that he just wanted to skip school and the poisonous snake was one of his toys. A day he enjoyed most eating ice cream in bed Dr. Nicholson gave to him.

"You are so nosy for a police officer. I thought there are interesting things always happening at the station." I said. I imagined how it would have been if I were to change professions. My mom wouldn't have allowed it, she hated guns and everything to do with them due to past experiences.

There are nights where I sometimes find her crying, hoping and praying. It breaks my heart knowing that I cannot do anything to help her. She always act so tough and well-put together but is broken on the inside. Everyday I see her put on a brave face for the sake of Maya and Sam, they were still so small when it all happened. But those are memories I would rather not dwell on, it is too painful to relive them.

"Believe it or not but no, there's nothing that interesting that happens down there." Nothing? Now I was curious, how can there be nothing interesting happening at a police station? Aren't they always making wrongful arrests lately and what about all those senseless beatings going on that no one seemingly knows of at the station?

I shook my head and just stared towards the road. In the back of my head I know that once I arrive back home, it will still feel so surreal that I will no longer hear Mrs. Brown's cheerful singing. The way she used to greet a person in the morning and all those chats we used to have. And Jamal, he will no longer be shooting hoops in the backyard, or annoy Maya as he always did.

He stopped at the hospital and he jumped out of the driver's seat to open the passenger door, oh my and just when Eddy stood by the entrance. Just great, now I won't hear the end of it, just why Johnny must you complicate my life so?

"And if you must know I don't condone any what they did to your friend. I was surprised that day when they sent me out on a supposed drug rate. I got there by the time I saw how that asshole McGregor treated you, not all cops are bad you know, that's why I wanted to know how Jamal was. Do you know that they wanted to take him the night after he had his operation, I protested against it and stayed right there. I even begged the doctor to take out a document stating that he's unfit to go anywhere, and if he wakes up don't worry because I won't tell any of those bastards. Between you and me I hate Sergeant Robert Connor. He doesn't know how to talk to people, I try not to let them get to me but as you can see in the end the bad guy always wins."

I was left speechless, I had no words to reply to, why was he sharing his story with me? No matter the case, I could see his compassion towards others and Chi-Chi seemed like she knew him far too well, maybe he's different.

I watched as he drove away. Eddy waited for me by the entrance, I shrugged as I walked towards him, now I will be hearing of Johnny all year long from Mr. Edward Chan. Just my luck! I do wish I could turn around now and just walk, but my shift. I remembered.