Chapter 27:

After breakfast, I made sure I was on my way out of the door before running late. I received a text from Dr. Nicholson about a patient. Sometimes I think most of the patients were there just for a chat after their checkups, especially the elderly folks, but who can really blame them? I'd be going crazy if ever I was alone at such a fragile age, it's sad that most of their children wanted nothing to do with them, and some were living in old age homes. It's like tossing ones own parent aside just because it would be a bother. I would never be able to live with myself, my parents are my everything and they deserve much more, so much more than to be thrown for the wolves just like that. No, never, regardless of the circumstances, family will always be family.

At least that is what I have always been taught. How I miss home, and the people, oh the people, how I miss everything about home. The smell, the laughter, the son and even the night sky.

As soon as I arrived at the hospital, I was received by Eddy and I only got to speak to Destiny for a few minutes before she left again, and like always, Eddy had the most questions about how my date went with Johnny. He was more than just my best friend, he was like a big brother. I remember when he first introduced his girlfriend to me, how nervous she was because of all the things he told her I'd do and how I was like, yes, we sometimes play such jokes on people we were dating, and I feared that Johnny won't be getting away so easily. Again, goodluck to him because Edward Chan does not let the smallest of detail just slip away like that, by now I was so used to it that I lied my way around all his crazy questions. And if Johnny thought that my mom was weird, oh he has it in for him for sure.

"Dr. Nicholson is on his ecstatic kicks again, the man is full of smiles. Just makes a person wonder." He said, and that made me wonder too, it was true, lately Dr. Nicholson has been nothing but smiles, he even whistles happy tunes and the singing. Oh, the singing. My ears could barely take it, but what was one to do when one is in love and thank God I am not like that, but on the other hand, I was happy Dr. Nicholson was able to find someone. He deserved it with everything he's been through with his ex wife.

And sometimes I think that he was more so now just rubbing it into our faces, but it was sweet. To see the doctor this happy in a long time definitely was refreshing, he was much happier than what he has been with his wife for over 10 years now, if I may say so myself and who knew that second chances would lead to this for him, maybe there will be a little baby on the way, let's just hope he doesn't convince the little baby to become a doctor because Lord knows he will do that.

"Good morning, my lovely Drew. There is actually a patient here who has missed your company dearly and she refuse to eat if you weren't the one talking care of her or at least just talk to her, the effect you have on these patients." He nods as he left the room. I smiled as I caught my first glimpse of the little old lady sitting upright in her bed, it was Mrs. James. She always tells me stories such as how it has been back in the day and of how she met her husband, oh that one was my favorite.

I adored elderly people and all the stories they had to share, to experience a world through their lives and get to imagine of how they lived. Their upbringing and mostly, their eternal love, it was a beautiful thing.

"Oh it's you. You made it Drew, that Dr. Nicholson is full of himself, ain't he?" She said, I chuckled as I can imagine how Dr. Nicholson would take the news of him being full of himself. He would be bothered because he knew it was only the truth in what Mrs. James were saying. I wouldn't defend him in any fight with the patients, because unlike him, they didn't give me unnecessary hours.

The man must probably think I'm a robot, but then again, that was the price one had to pay when working in a hospital. The work just was never done, and it was also a reminder of why I did it. I love helping people and all they needed, and the feeling one gets at the end after helping someone, it's rewarding enough to see that smile on their faces and a thank you is priceless.

My mother always told me that happiness was not a price but rather a reward. One must not beg or pay to be happy, it's not given easily, it's something one must find oneself, and she's right. I found my happiness in work and with Johnny. I found much more in him, with him I can be myself and not pretend, I could say what I was thinking and he would listen. He made me speak my mind without telling me no woman should say or behave in such a way. "Yes, Mrs. James and between me and you, he's a grumpy bear, but don't you worry my lovely Mrs. James. Our dearest Dr. Nicholson is in love, he won't be much of a bother. He is seeing nothing but hearts and butterflies." She softly chuckled as she nods, oh brother, I preferred the old Dr. Nicholson better, this new one is much worse, he's full of humming and singing. It's a total pain and what's worse is that I get to work with him everyday.

"And I can see that you are happy too Drew. See, I told you that you would find someone who will make you happy and make you laugh again. There is no such a thing as anyone growing old alone. Well, except for us who no longer can say the same, I have to tell you Drew. You know, I do miss my late husband, he was my everything and what I'd give to see him everyday, to see his beautiful brown face. He was the sexiest dark-skinned man I've ever seen in my life, he was a devoted Christian. He feared the Lord and that was what I wanted in a man. A man has to fear God and put him before anything or anyone else, even before his own wife. He had the most beautiful bright smile and boy could he dance. That man had the entire room standing still and watching him groove to the rhythm and speaking of that. He had a very good rhythm, he was such a beautiful soul. He did all and everything right." She smiled and thought.

"He sounds really amazing."

"He was and he had a kind heart and everything about him could make one feel safe, I can still hear how he sang to me, and his laugh. His laugh is what I truly miss, he was so cheerful, he loved with his entire being, he loved with an intense passion, that is why my dear Drew. I can see in your eyes how that young man lights them up. Never let him go, he is yours forever, he is your soulmate." I swallowed as a tear slowly escaped from my eyes and ran down my cheek, I had no words for Mrs. James, you could say I was speechless even.