Chapter 3:

"Please help me. We must take him to the hospital, now."

It took the cute officer no less than 5 seconds to call the guards and they arrived. I'm sure they knew the state Jamal was in before we came in and they chose to avoid him. The cute officer came rushing in and scooped Jamal in his arms, and when I heard they were taking him to the infirmary I protested. "No. He needs urgent care and he won't be receiving it here. I can assure you if you transfer him over to Esperasso Hospital I will personally see to it that he gets taken care of."

They hesitated for a moment, and after one of the guards came from the warden's office and nodded. Of course, we were escorted by the two guards who stood post, as did the cute officer tag along. I was the one sitting at the back, talking to Jamal for as long as I could. I needed him to keep his eyes open and talk even if it was just mumbling. I forbid his life to end this way, and neither will I allow for it to, this cannot be his end.

We arrived 10 minutes later at the hospital and were received by my co-workers and the doctor who was on standby. I called in the favor, and was suprise to learn they've already set up everything as soon as they got my call. We rushed Jamal through the operating room, and it was as I expected, he suffered from trauma to the head and had to be operated on immediately.

My phone was ringing off the charts, which I ignored. The doctor operating told me to stay outside because he knew how attached I was to Jamal and I refused, there was no way I was going to leave him alone now.

It was either I stay or they take me out in cuffs and they knew better.

I was my mother's child, just as stubborn as she was and Jamal was my baby. All the blood transfusions, the trauma of having to be there as well as to stand there and help with the operation was agonizing, but I was used to it all by now. It was part of the job but in this case it was all the more delicate. This was a child I had seen grow up in front of my eyes and there was no way in hell I'd let him die in front of me, too. I had to think like a nurse and do my job as best I could. Being strong came with it, no matter how hard I had to remain positive and hopeful because I know Jamal is a fighter, and this will not be the first thing to get him down.

Every one of my colleagues knew Jamal, they were all waiting anxiously outside for the news. It felt as though time was moving at a much slower pace, and after five excruciating hours the surgery was successful. I fear to think the worse had my instinct not kick in and I didn't sneak out to go and visit Jamal at the prison, he would be...he would be gone.

Everyone cried out of relief, Jamal was out of danger. I hugged the doctor so tight he had no idea what a miracle he just performed. I work with him everyday and his compassion toward others spoke wonders. He had a heart of gold and all the patients loved him for it. "Thank you doctor Nicholson, you are a true superhero. You have no idea what you have just done for my baby." I teared up, my Jamal was out of danger but he only needed to recover now, Lord I pray. I knew what comes next once he woke up, they will take him away from all he knew once again.

The guards who stood post were outside. I understand it was their job to make sure the so-called accused doesn't escape, and when I looked down the hall of the trauma ward I could see the cute officer on one of the 3 seater stainless steel waiting bench. He tapped his feet and I went over to thank him personally:

"Thank you," I smiled, had it not been for him I doubt we would even see Jamal live for another day. It was refreshing to see that there was at least one good person on the force. "Jamal, he is out of danger now." I added. I was truly happy knowing that there were still good cops around that genuinely cared for others, other than themselves.

He smiled and there it was again, those sexy dimples popping out. "You are the one who should be thanked. You know, you are a very caring person and you fought for your friend to be brought here, so you're the actual hero." He said, it was a big part of my profession to save lives, it was one of the main reasons why I chose to be a nurse. To help those who needed it, but still I must say it felt good knowing that there are people who appreciate what we do now and then.

"Thank you, it's good to see that I don't get a cheeky lip from one of our men in uniform. Had it been one of your superiors. I would have been told that it was part of my job description to save lives." I joked, yes it was dry but still he laughed. I think that he was just doing so to boost my ego, ugh! Jokes were never my forte. I leave those to Jamal and all the crazy stories he would come up with, he was very good with words, our very own Martin Luther. I once advised him to write his poems and reside it into music, but around here black people only rap about drugs, money, guns and naked women they have slept with so it's been said. To me it was always a form of poetry. He joked and said he would one day be the next Tupac Shakur.

"You know you are very funny, maybe in your next life you could do standup comedy." Ha! I rolled my eyes and slightly flushed, what in God's name was happening here? I only just met the guy and here we were talking as though we have known each other for most of our lives.

"You are a very funny man Mr. Officer, very funny." I jokingly said.

"You can call me Johnny, and judging by that tag on your chest I assume your name is Drew. See, even our names would go great together. We are made for one another." Dear Lord I shall not give in, there are far too many important things on my plate than a possible love interest. No matter how hot he is or how green those eyes are, oh those beautiful dimples of his. I heard my phone vibrating in my pocket. I had to turn it to vibrating mode. It was disturbing me while I was in surgery.

Strange, my mother doesn't usually call me at this hour. I answered. "Yes mom? wha-how? I will be right there, just don't go anywhere." Dear Lord no, not another tregidy.

"What happened?" Johnny asked, sensing by my tone he could hear that the call wasn't as friendly. Or something I would have wanted to hear. Can this day get any worse?

"Jamal's grandmother, she─"