16. Racing Hearts

"I'm sorry about the Captain's behavior yesterday. It was...less than favorable," Charlie said.

Prim rinsed a few plates and began to dry them. She leaned against the counter, facing him. "It's all right. I'm learning that his manners can change in a heartbeat. Maybe someday I won't be taken by surprise."

"I've known the Captain for three years now and he still surprises me." Charlie took the plates and stacked them in their crate. Prim washed the last of the dishes.

"I think it's sweet that he's dancing with Kitty," Prim said. Somehow, the young girl had convinced him to dance with her after supper. Lester even pulled out a fiddle and offered to play for them. Prim could hear the notes and the thump of feet from the deck above them.

"He does have his moments. Kitty trusts him and Pops more than the rest of us. Lester is right below them. She rarely approaches me."

"She's very shy," Prim noted.

"I sometimes wonder if there's something wrong with her." Charlie took the clean plates and put them away.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

He realized his mistake immediately. "No, that's not what I meant." Prim crossed her arms, waiting. Charlie scratched his head. "I meant, maybe not everything is right up here." He tapped his forehead. "She doesn't talk. She's shorter and lighter than normal kids her age. Maybe she was born prematurely or something."

Anger and protective instincts welled up within her chest. "Or maybe she's just a little girl who has been through hell!" Prim snapped. "Maybe she's experienced something so traumatic in her short lifetime that her only way of coping was to fall silent and keep her thoughts guarded. Maybe she doesn't trust people easily because she's had bad experiences with strangers."

Charlie began to protest, but Prim cut him off. "And even if she's not like other kids, that doesn't mean she isn't normal! I don't care how much shorter or lighter than other kids she is. I don't care if she is silent or if she yells all the time. I will love her regardless." Prim faltered briefly. Love. She'd said that she loved Kitty.

"I understand that. I didn't mean to upset you. I was just..."

"You were just being insensitive," Prim pushed a finger into his chest. "Listen to me, Charlie Griffin. You keep those thoughts about my girl to yourself. She doesn't need to hear them and neither does anyone else." Prim stormed past him before he could reply.

The deck was mostly vacant. Lester and Pops sat on the staircase near the helm. Pops held a bottle of rum. Lester still played his fiddle. Caspian and Kitty whirled about the deck. Kitty was smiling gleefully, wearing her new dress again. Caspian caught sight of Prim. He frowned, spying the dark expression on her face.

Caspian and Kitty spun back towards Lester and Pops. "How about you take a turn?" Caspian asked Pops. He set his bottle aside and took Kitty's hands. Suddenly, Pops tossed her in the air. Kitty laughed, actually laughed, and Pops set her down again. They began to waltz around the deck.

Prim climbed the stairs up to the helm at Caspian's prompting. He unhooked the rope from the wheel and grabbed one of the handles. "I've never heard Kitty laugh before," she said.

"Neither have I." He was quiet for a few minutes, then, "Are you mad at me from yesterday?"

Prim smirked and slapped his arm. "No, although I do plan to pay you back somehow."

"I suppose that's fair," he chuckled. "You are angry, though?"

"A little." She leaned against the railing, crossing her ankles. "Charlie said some things about Kitty that made me mad."