20. Story Filled Sketches

"You've been sitting here for a long time." Prim opened her eyes as Charlie sat down beside her. "Are you all right?"

    "Fine." She rubbed her eyes wearily. "I think I dozed off a little."

    "Where's the Captain?"

    Prim scanned the room with a shrug. "I don't know." She gritted her teeth. "I think I might've upset him? I'm not really sure what happened, exactly."

    "Well, there's no use being at a party if you aren't going to enjoy yourself." Charlie stood and offered her a hand. She accepted it and joined him on the dance floor. They began to waltz with the other couples. "I should have sought you out earlier. Truthfully, I've been avoiding you while I tried to sort out what to say to fix the mess I made."

    Prim made no reply. She planned on apologizing to him, but she wanted to hear his first. Charlie continued after a moment. "I'm sorry about what I said. You're right. I was being insensitive, both towards Kitty and to you. I'm sorry."

    "Apology accepted," Prim said with a smile. "And I could have handled the situation better. I'm sorry for yelling at you."

    "I'm not. I'm glad you're so protective of Kitty. I'm glad you stepped up and put me in my place. I just wish I'd known it from the start." Charlie smiled too. "Does this mean we can start sparring again?"

    "Maybe. I'm still not fond of the idea of holding weapons these days." She hadn't touched a gun after Caspian tricked her into firing his.

    "Well, I can't swindle you into doing something with a sword," Charlie said, as though sensing her thoughts.

    "That is true. You're the only true gentleman aboard the Leviathan."

    He beamed. "You look lovely, by the way. Where did you get your dress?"

    "It was Cas...the Captain's younger sister's. I'm just borrowing it." Charlie nodded and began to speak. Prim tuned him out, thinking. When did I start thinking of him as just Caspian? She didn't exactly know. I probably shouldn't make that slip up in front of the crew. Pops doesn't.

    "Prim," Charlie hissed, catching her attention.

    She followed his gaze across the ballroom. Caspian was dancing with Arely, his face close to her ear as he whispered something. Prim swallowed hard, a seed of anger taking root in her stomach. Arely laughed and kissed his cheek.

    Prim ceased dancing. Charlie hovered near her, concern radiating from him. She whirled on her heel and stormed out of the ballroom. Charlie trailed after her.

    "Prim?" He called. She ignored him and increased her pace. She reached the room Ms. Harriet had helped her dress in. Charlie paused near the door as she locked it.

    Prim unclasped the necklace and earrings from Ms. Harriet. She set them on the vanity, then pulled the combs from her hair. She uncoiled her long locks, tying them back in a loose ponytail. Prim undid the lacings on the gown and stripped out of it next. She pulled on her regular clothes, folding the gown and petticoats and setting them in a satchel. Prim wrote a hasty note, claiming she'd had too much wine and felt unwell, but she'd enjoyed herself greatly.

    She picked up the satchel before rejoining Charlie in the hallway. He furrowed his brows, taking in her appearance. "Would you take me back to the ship?" Prim asked. "I'm not supposed to go anywhere without someone watching me."

    "Sure." Charlie took her satchel without being asked.

    They headed down the stairs. Thankfully, they met no one on their way out the door. Charlie tossed two silver marks to a stable boy, who brought them a saddled horse. They mounted and took off towards the docks. Prim's thoughts spun in angry confusion.