44. Methods of Destruction

Prim looked up as a piece of paper appeared beneath her door. She waited until the person's footsteps receded, then grabbed the paper. Prim read it hastily.

The Leviathan has docked already. The entire fleet is coming and they're bringing three of the Pirate Lords with them.

    Prim held the letter against her chest, willing her breaths to even out. She swallowed and continued to read.

Kalifa Venus and her fleet will patrol the waters around Valence and intercept any of Blight or Archer's ships that approach. Malcolm Hugo and Scarlet Minx will cover our escape. They want to speak with you before the execution. Just tell me how to arrange the meeting and Coralyn, Emilia, and I will get it done.

~Ms. Harriet.

    Prim tossed Ms. Harriet's letter into the fireplace, then prepared to write her response. She made it short and to the point. Just as she finished, there was a soft knock at the door. "Prim?" Coralyn whispered.

    "Take this to Ms. Harriet." Prim slid the note beneath her door.

    "Emilia said that Kitty and Caspian are doing as well as they can. No one has touched Kitty. She stays in Caspian's cell." Prim breathed a sigh of relief, blinking back the stinging in her eyes. "But, Prim, you should know..." Coralyn hesitated.

    "What?" Prim urged.

    "I overheard a conversation between your father and Tristan. Once you and Tristan are married, Kitty will be sent to an orphanage. Your father is trying to find out where you keep her adoption papers and which office legalized them."

    "Let him destroy the papers if he wants," Prim growled. "He won't be sending my daughter anywhere."

    "The execution has been scheduled for the day after tomorrow."

    "Method?"

    "Your father hasn't decided that yet."

    "Let me know when he does."

    Coralyn didn't reply. Her footsteps faded and Prim began to pace around the room. Anxious thoughts knotted together within her mind. Benny purred, brushing up against her legs. Prim picked him up and scratched his chin.

    "I've got to think of a way to get you to the ship," she said. "Kitty will be devastated if you get left behind. She'll be devastated if anyone is left behind." Prim continued to stroke Benny's fur, thinking.

•~ ❘ ✠ ❘ ~•

    "I know the Wilson boy is a friend of yours. Maybe I should have him executed alongside you," Alexander sneered, dragging the tip of a blade down Caspian's arm.

    "Amos has committed no crimes. You can't execute him," Caspian hissed.

    "I'm the King. I can execute anybody I want. I could say he's been conspiring with you. I could say he attacked his guards."

    "No one would believe you."

    "They wouldn't need to. I'd only have to convince the executioner."

    "Why would you want to kill an innocent man moments before killing me? That would be a little counterproductive."

    Alexander inclined his head. "I suppose it would. I'll just resign myself to the satisfaction of watching you bleed out at my feet."

    "It's rude to cut in line, you know. There are others who'd like to experience that satisfaction too."

    "I've been thinking about how I'm going to kill you. My first thought was hanging, but that takes too long, assuming your neck doesn't break when you fall. Then, I thought about having you torn limb from limb." Alexander grimaced. "But I never have enjoyed that sight. I could slit your throat but that would be too quick. I could burn you alive, but the smell is awful and you'd pass out from smoke inhalation before I could hear your screams."