24. Stormy Emotions

Rain pelted into Caspian's eyes. He squinted, peering up at the sky as he tried to see the few visible stars. They'd been blown far off course. He slicked hair out of his face and scanned the Leviathan's deck. The crewmen were rushing to strengthen the cannon breech ropes. Several cannons had already snapped free and were rolling across the deck.

Pops appeared at his side. "We've got a problem."

"What is it now?" He picked out a familiar star and managed to readjust their course slightly.

"A few of the sail ropes snapped in the wind. We'll have to close it manually."

"Then get it done," Caspian snapped. "Which sail is it?"

Pops pointed to one of the smaller sails towards the front of the ship. "Jesp is going to go up but the rest of us are too heavy for those beams to support."

"I'll help Jesp."

"It'll break under you too."

"And Jesp can't close it on his own," Caspian sighed.

"Prim is light enough."

"No, she'll have no idea what she's doing and with this rain, it will be slick." Pops didn't speak as Caspian ran the idea over in his mind. "Take the wheel," he muttered finally. Pops took over while Caspian leaped over the railing.

He entered his quarters, rain blowing in after him. Prim sat up at once. Kitty was asleep beside her. "You're soaked," Prim said.

"It's raining."

"I hadn't noticed."

"Get up. I need you to do something."

"What?" Prim raised an eyebrow. Still, she twisted and swung her legs over the side of the bed. Caspian began to reply, then paused. She was wearing his shirt.

He blinked away his surprise. "A few of the sail ropes snapped. You and Jesp will have to climb up and close the sail manually. It's a smaller one so the beams won't support much weight."

Prim picked up some of her clothes. Water dripped from them. Caspian turned away as she pulled his shirt off. She put her wet clothes on then joined him. She gave Kitty a slightly concerned look, then followed him out the door.

"Is she all right?" Caspian asked gently.

"She's scared. She said she doesn't like storms. She's afraid we'll sink."

"We won't." He watched Prim from the corner of his eye. Her curls straightened under the weight of water. Hair clung to her face. He itched to brush it away. Caspian pushed the thought aside. His fingers still tingled. "Jesp will help you reach the sail. He'll take one half of it and you'll take the other. You'll pull it up and make sure it's secured. Jesp will talk you through the process while you're up there."

"All right." Prim's voice was calm, but anxiety filled her gaze.

Nothing can happen between us, he thought. So stop caring. They were nearing the mast. Jebediah, Charlie, Westley, and Lester were gathered underneath it. Jesp had already begun to climb up. Prim took in the height of the mast. Her jaw trembled. Without thinking, Caspian grabbed her hand. She turned and he cupped her cheek, his lips hovering just above hers. "Don't fall, please."

"Don't touch me," Prim snapped, even as she leaned into his hand. A moment later, she twisted out of reach and joined the group around the mast. Caspian's stomach churned with nerves as she began to climb.

•~ ❘ ✠ ❘ ~•

He needs to make up his mind, Prim grumbled to herself. Does he want me or not? She climbed slowly, her fingers slipping on the drenched wood and ropes. Do I want him? She was trying not to want him. She was trying to ignore the way he made her feel.