22. Smoldering Words

Prim had not missed the constant rocking of the ship. They'd been in Port for so long that she'd gotten used to her land legs again. Prim brewed herself a cup of chamomile tea, grateful that it had been restocked. She sat at the table by Kitty and kept a tight hold on her cup.

Kitty was writing neat and lengthy sentences now, and she knew how to spell most of the crew's names. Her drawing supplies from Charlie sat in her basket. Prim drank her tea, watching Kitty work. The stairs creaked as someone descended.

"You need to do some sparring or target practice," Caspian said, crossing his arms.

"No thank you." Prim didn't look at him.

"I'm not asking. Captain Blight's ships are still sailing around Valence. We'll likely run into them at some point."

Prim ignored him. Kitty paused, giving her a worried look. "You're doing great. Keep going," Prim urged. Kitty began again. The air grew tense as Caspian lingered near the stairs.

"I'm not asking," he said again. "Come on."

"The last time I practiced, you tricked me into firing a gun when you knew I didn't want to."

"You have to learn that there is no room for wants at sea. You need to know how to defend yourself, whether you want to or not."

"I know how to defend myself. I've done it once before." And it had resulted in a dead man. Prim drank the last of her tea, hoping it might calm her rising anxiety as well.

"People die every day, Prim. Some die by swords, others disease, many more by gun. If you hadn't killed him, Pops would've. Let's go." His boots thumped against the stairs.

Kitty rested a hand on Prim's arm. She blinked, her large green eyes reflecting her concern. Prim sighed, covering Kitty's hand with her own. "Finish your lesson. I'd better go appease the Captain." Kitty smiled as Prim left the galley.

She found Caspian standing at the helm. Pops had control of the wheel. Caspian was inspecting his pistols. He looked up as she approached. He held a pistol towards her. Prim took it begrudgingly.

"Tell me the parts," he said.

"Really? I haven't forgotten." Caspian narrowed his eyes. Pops wisely remained silent. Prim rolled her eyes and pointed out each piece as she listed them. "Pan, frizzen, mainspring, hammer. Flint, frizzen spring, sear and sear spring, tumbler."

"And their functions?"

"I'm not here so you can invalidate me," Prim growled.

"Fine. Aim at those disks." He pointed to several metal pieces that were suspended from the poles in between the masts and sails.

Prim cocked the pistol and took aim. Caspian made no move to correct her. "Isn't this going to waste ammunition?" She asked. "I'm sure this one is loaded."

"You've seen my supply." He jerked his head towards the disk. "Try not to shoot my crewmen, Darling."

Prim ground her teeth together. Bloody pirate! She fired. The shot pinged off the disk and hit the deck. Her hand stung from the reverberation. Caspian handed her the second pistol. He prepared to reload the first one. Prim fired again, aiming at the second disk. Once more, the shot fell to the deck. The soft thud echoed in her ears.

She traded pistols and fired. The third disk swayed while the shot fell. Dead glazed eyes flashed through her mind. Prim's hand shook as she reached for the pistol. When she fired, she saw blood spattering against the wall. She saw the hole in his head and the stain spreading beneath it.