25. Molten Eruption

Night wore into day as Caspian told Pops everything that had happened. Rain continued to pour and waves crashed against the Leviathan. The sky grew lighter and they could see farther ahead.

"And we haven't spoken much since," Caspian finished. He rubbed his hands across his face. "Why can't I just...stop?"

"Because that's not how things work," Pops chuckled.

"Don't laugh."

"I'm sorry, Lad. You're in a tough situation." Pops kept a tight hold on the wheel as the wind grew stronger. "I think you need to make a decision."

"I have made a decision. I've decided not to give in."

"You're failing."

"Thank you for that astute observation." He sighed. "Prim hates me again anyway, so at least there's that."

"She doesn't hate you. It takes longer than a few days to hate someone you've fallen in love with."

Caspian bit his lip. "I don't think it was that deep on her end."

"But on yours?"

He didn't reply right away. "If I wasn't there yet, I soon would be."

"Do you want my advice?"

"I wouldn't have told you all of this if I didn't."

Pops gave him an unamused look. Caspian gestured for him to continue. "Don't fight it." Caspian began to protest. "Caspian James Flynn, you asked for my advice and you're getting it so listen." He closed his mouth. "You're fighting what you feel and it's not working. The only thing you can do is stop fighting it. If there are issues, deal with them as they arise."

"But what about the crew? What about Captain Blight? Her family and the ransom?"

"Since when have you let Kieran Blight dictate what you can and can't do? You're the Pirate King so start acting like it. Go through with the plan. Collect her ransom, take her home, and then go back for her. There is a way, Cas." Pops gave him a kind smile. "And I don't think any of the crew would deny you this. They know what you've lost and what you've done for them."

Caspian shook his head. He pushed his hair out of his face. "There's too many contingencies. Jebediah will cause problems. Charlie might too. Most of the men believe in old superstitions about having women on board and..."

"Have you noticed that the longer Prim is with us, the less they talk about the superstitions? They've grown to like her. Jebediah can always be dumped off in some port, as I've always said. We'll find some way to help his boy and if Amos doesn't accept our help, we'll give it anyway. Charlie respects you because you're his captain. If he truly cares for Prim and she chooses you, he'll respect that too."

"She won't choose me. I made sure of that."

"You're making excuses now. Why?"

"I'm not making excuses."

"You are," Pops pointed at him. "You are and you know it, Lad."

Caspian jerked his head away. "It's like I told you before. The people I care about always wind up dead."

Pops sighed and fastened the wheel in place with a length of rope. He sat down next to Caspian with a slight grunt. "I'm sorry about your family, Cas. You know I would've done anything to change what happened to them."

"I know."

"But you can't let their deaths hold you back. Just because it happened to them does not mean it will happen to Prim."