31. The Cost of Lives

Rain pattered against the Leviathan's sails. The storm was light, as Caspian had predicted. Waves splashed against the ship, but they weren't as monstrous as the ones from the last storm. Prim braced her hands on the railing of the helm and lifted her face, letting the rain fall against her cheeks.

The crew was hard at work, maintaining the sails, securing the cannons, and much more. Prim looked towards the crow's nest. Caspian dangled from the rigging below it. From the looks of it, he was enjoying the coolness of the rain just as much as she was. His shirt clung to his back. She could make out his leviathan tattoo through the thin fabric.

"You're getting along again," Pops said. He turned the wheel slightly, readjusting their course. "I take it that means Caspian took my advice?"

"I would imagine so."

"Good. I was half afraid he wouldn't," Pops chuckled. "He's a good man, but he gets confused sometimes."

"Everyone does."

"Aye." Pops watched Caspian with a small smile. "It doesn't help that his own father isn't around to give him advice when it comes to women."

"He had sisters. Surely they taught him a few things?"

Pops shrugged. "I couldn't tell you. When I knew them..." He shook his head. "Caspian didn't speak to them for three years."

"Why not?"

"Has he told you anything about what happened to his family?"

"No. He told me he has nightmares about it quite often. I tried to get him to talk about it, but he refused."

"Well, that's Cas for you. He likes to keep his secrets."

Prim bit her lip, then asked, "Why did he get his tattoo?"

"To cover up the scars." Pops' shoulders slumped as he sighed. "Which I gave to him. I'm the one who did the tattoo when he became Captain as well."

"You? He told me the scars were from the Captain he used to serve under."

"I was that Captain's first mate too. Caspian and I got on his bad side. As punishment, I was forced to whip Cas." Pops fell silent briefly. "And I had to rub salt into the wounds while they were still fresh. That's why some of them healed so poorly."

Prim's heart clenched at the thought. "What did you do to upset the Captain?"

"I don't remember what it was that day. You'd have to ask Caspian." Prim made a mental note of it. "I do remember every second of the beating, though," Pops continued. "He refused to scream. Even when I poured salt on the wounds, he wouldn't scream. He didn't want to scare his family."

"He promised that their fate would not be mine," Prim murmured.

Water dripped off the bridge of Pops' nose. "He's terrified of losing you, Lass. That's why he pushed you away."

"I know. He told me." Across the deck, Caspian slid down the rigging. He clapped a hand on Jesp's back as he passed the younger boy. Jesp grinned at his captain. Prim curled her nails back into her palms. "But I'd cut my own heart out before I let something like that happen."

"So would he, Lass. So would he."

Prim gave Pops a small smile and headed down the stairs. Caspian met her at the base of them. He slipped an arm around her waist and rested his forehead against hers briefly. Caspian continued up to the helm from there. Prim made her way down to the galley.