32. Bitter Pain

Caspian pulled his cutlass from the stomach of one of Captain Blight's men. Rain blurred his vision slightly. He moved on to the next enemy. His thoughts ran rampant as he did so. He'd seen five pirates run down to the galley. So far, none had returned. He hoped that meant that Prim and Kitty were all right.

    Caspian fended off an attack from one pirate and grabbed a pistol out of the hands of another. He cocked the pistol and fired. The pirate hit the deck. Caspian ducked around his second opponent, using the hook at the end of his cutlass to snatch the pirate's sword. With a twist, he disarmed the man. Caspian scooped up the discarded sword and drove it through the pirate's neck.

    Across the deck, he spotted Pops. Four pirates surrounded him. Caspian started towards them. "Captain Flynn!" He heard a small voice cry. "Casp..." the voice cut off. He turned, narrowing his eyes against the rain. "Papa!" Kitty screamed at last. He bolted towards the sound.

    A moment later, she came into view. Kitty clutched Benny to her chest. Her back was pressed up against the door to his quarters. Two of Captain Archer's men had cornered her. Caspian drew a knife from his belt and hurled it. The blade dug into one of the pirate's heads. He collapsed and his companion faced Caspian.

    Swords locked with a spray of sparks. Caspian gritted his teeth in a snarl, pushing the pirate away from Kitty. "I didn't know you kept little pets," the pirate sneered. "How about I take her off your hands for a time, Captain?"

    Caspian made his next blow harder, driving the pirate back. He hooked an elbow up into the man's chin, then drove it into his throat. The pirate stumbled back, retching. Caspian dug his sword into the pirate's chest and twisted. "You leave my girl alone," Caspian growled. He pried his sword loose as the man fell, dead.

    Kitty was sobbing, her face pressed into Benny's fur. Caspian pulled her against his chest and kept a watchful eye on the fight around them. "What are you doing up here?" He demanded.

    "They took Mama," Kitty gasped in between sobs. "They shot her and took her."

    Caspian's breath faltered. He bent down and grabbed her by the shoulders. "Is she dead? Kitty, is Prim dead?"

    Kitty shook her head. "She was fighting after they shot her. The man hit her head and took her."

    They must have come back up here at some point, Caspian realized. How did I miss it? He stood and peered through the rain towards Valor's Blight. A pirate landed on the railing, with someone draped over his shoulder. "Jesp!" Caspian shouted, spying the boy near them.

    Jesp fended off his opponent and came running. "Aye, Captain?"

    "Take Kitty and protect her with your life, do you understand?" Caspian ordered. Kitty reached for him. He crouched briefly, smoothing her damp curls out of her face. "Prim will be fine, Kitty," he promised. "I'm going to get her." Kitty nodded, tears still running down her cheeks. "Go with Jesp. Benny is scared and doesn't like rain."

    Kitty kissed Benny's forehead and let Jesp usher her back to the galley stairs. Caspian ducked beneath the stairs leading up to the helm. He drew his pistols and reloaded them, shielding them from the rain with his body. He shoved them back in his belt and ran. Caspian snatched his knife out of the head of the fallen pirate as he went.

    "Caspian!" Pops hollered nearby.

    "They have Prim," he replied.

    Pops nodded and raced after him. They climbed onto the railing and grabbed two ropes. Caspian swung over to Valor's Blight. Pops landed on deck a moment later. Caspian paused in surprise. Captain Blight's crewmen were locked in combat with more of Captain Archer's forces.