Chapter 9: "I miss you, Gwen. So much."

My eyes move around the picture in my hands

My eyes move around the picture in my hands. It was from when Gwen was 12 and I was 13. She was on my back and was smiling, her chocolate brown hair flying all around the place. Her legs were dangling on the side, and her arms were around my neck. I was holding onto her arms and I myself had a huge smile on my face. For a 13-year-old I was quite tall.

I remember this day like it was yesterday. It was from my mom's birthday. She had invited all of her and dad's friends over for barbeque in our backyard. Gwen wanted a piggy back ride and I being the big brother I was happily lifted her on my back. Dad had chuckled and told us to look at his camera and smile when he saw us laughing around.

I didn't even realize I was crying until I saw a tear drop of mine fall onto the picture frame. "I miss you, Gwen. So much." I whisper to the photo, my hands moving gently over the picture, afraid I will break the memory.

I place the picture back in my drawer, wipe my tears that happened to fall before closing my eyes and taking a deep breath. Just then I hear the front door open, and I know my dad is back from office. My eyes open and move to the clock on the wall. 11: 01 pm. Typical.

♡♡♡

Friday morning, I am in an oddly good mood. One because we have a game today and I am pumped up and two because it's a Friday, no more explanation needed.

I get ready for school, putting on a grey hoodie of mine which is paired with black jeans and my vans. It's not yet winter, but it is slightly chilly since its almost late October.

I pick up my bag and sling it over one shoulder before going downstairs. As I am entering the kitchen, I spot my dad sitting on one the high bar stools we had. Fucking great. I decide to just ignore him, as I open the cabinets and take out a granola bar for myself.

"Austin, good morning." My dad says. I don't turn to face him, "Good morning." I mumble as I tear open the granola bar and take a bite out of it. "So... I heard you have a game today." He says. "I do." I respond, keeping my response as short as possible. I want to get out of here as fucking soon as I can.

He clears his throat, "Would you mind if I come and watch it?" He asks, taking me by surprise. Dad has never once been to my games. He either has work or some shit. A part of me is screaming to say yes, but the other sensible part of me wants to turn to him and look him in the eyes and tell him that he doesn't fucking deserve to be in my life. Or have anything to do with it.

"I don't care. Do what you want." I shrug before throwing the granola bar wrapper and walking out the kitchen. I make sure to pick up my motorbike's key as I am walking out the house. I slam the door shut behind me, before going towards where my bike is parked. As I am putting the keys in and getting on, I see Indy and Jayden walking out of their house.

They are talking about something. My eyes stay on Indy, her hair is straight today, unlike her everyday curls so I am guessing she straightened it. She is wearing a peach full sleeve top, with jeans and her ocean blue eyes are sparkling. She doesn't even look in my direction as she opens the door to her car, taking a seat in the driver's seat.