Chapter 35: "She sounds amazing."

Today was it

Today was it.

Today was the day I dreaded the most.

Today was the day my little sister was taken away from me.

Today was the day my whole life took a turn and everything, fucking everything fucked up.

Today was the day my heart was absolutely shattered.

Today was the day the doctors said the words that left everything inside me broken.

"I'm sorry, but we couldn't save her. Gwendoline Reed is... is no more."

Those words still haunt me to this day.

My fingers brush against the photo frame in my hands, a picture of Gwen. It was just a few weeks before she lost her hair. She was smiling brightly at the camera, her brown hair flying behind her as her green eyes- which she got from mom- sparkled.

"I love you, and I miss you so much," I mumble as I stared down at her, my heart clenching from the inside.

Just then my door opened and my eyes lifted up, I saw my dad standing by the door, his head peeking into my room. "Can I come in?" He says, his voice hoarse and I know he has cried.

I nod and he steps in, as he comes closer to me I notice how his eyes are rimmed red and swollen. I gulp as my eyes go back to the photo in my hands. He takes a seat next to me on my bed and looks at it too.

I see a small smile appear on his face as he stares at it, he chuckles lowly and his fingers brush against the picture too. "That was one of her favourite shirts," he mumbled and I nod, "It was, she didn't let anyone touch that thing," I say.

Gwen had a pile of clothes that she called her 'favourite' clothes, it was completely off-limits for everyone to touch and she used to do the laundry of those clothes herself.

"I miss her dad," I mumble and I find my eyes going blurry. "Me too, Aus. Me too. I would give anything in the world just to see her and look at her smile again," he says and one tear drop of mine falls onto the photo frame. "Me too," I gulp.

I would do anything to have her annoy the shit out of me again and paint my nails while I'm asleep.

I would do anything to be a big brother again.

♡♡♡

I didn't go to school today. I just stayed in bed, staring at Gwen's pictures trying to ignore how much my phone rang and flooded with notifications.

Finally, after god knows how many notification sounds, I finally picked up my phone ready to switch it the fuck off so that it doesn't annoy the shit out of me.

But I stopped myself when my eyes saw a particular contact name.

40 new messages, 29 calls and 2 new voicemails from Shorty