ONE

Taking another sip from my  red cup, which actually just contained Squirt, and not alcohol, I let out a sigh and lean my head against the doorway I stood in by the living room. My left leg crossed over my right at the ankles and my body language showed that I really wish I weren't here right now. The three best friends that dragged me here swore that I would have "the best time ever", but I'm not. But in reality, they were the ones having fun. Not me. My friend and roommate, Paige Bradley, was dancing with her boyfriend, Jack - wait, scratch that - grinding on him as some rap song played in the background over the loudest speakers that I have ever heard. Charlie Vera, best friend number two, was dancing with random girls who were equally as drunk as she were. And best friend number three, Diana Cook, was on the couch with a beer in her hand as she chewed on her lip while taking turns running a hand down the tones arm muscles of the two random men that sat on either side of her. She let out a giggle and placed her hand on one of the guys thigh. Yep, she was flirting.

And me? I was the observant designated driver. I'm truly not a big fan of drinking; it burns your throat, leaving with a terrible aftertaste. Not to mention, I hated puking and always thought of myself as someone who couldn't handle their liquor. That and I always watch out for any guys who try to put a date rape drug in their drinks or make them feel uncomfortable. Plus, I was quite the introvert. How I managed to let them get me out of bed and put on a bra for this? I will never know. Although I was known around with the same crowd as them, having been on the cheer and volleyball team, I was the extremely shy popular friend that hung with the loud, always ready for anything popular girls; I was the total opposite of them.

Freshmen year was when Paige and I became friends. We were fourteen and had both gone out for the volleyball team and both became captains of JV. The two of us became fast friends and then we met Charlie. Charlie was on the POM's team, which was the school competitive dance squad, and we met when she was in our English class. Then she introduced us to Diana, who was on the gymnastics and track team. All four of us became the bestest of friends and that even became our Senior Superlative - Most Likely To Die Together.

Paige stopped dancing with her brunette haired boyfriend and walked over to me. I gave her a small smile while she placed a gentle hand at my arm while leaning in and bringing her mouth to my ear.

"Why aren't you having fun?" Paige shouted at me over the loud music.

"Parties aren't my thing," I reply.

"Dance with us!" She invites me.

"I'm good. I'm fine right here."

She pulls back and sticks her tongue out at me before going back to Jack. He leans in her ear and says something that makes her nod wildly and they disappear into the crowd.

As I bring the cup to my lips, ready to take another sip, a couple in a passionate embrace bump into me, causing the drink to spill onto the floor and wet part of my Converse. I sigh and walk over to the kitchen that reeked of smoke. I grab a new cup and pour more soda into my cup. The feeling of someone staring at me causes me to glance up and look around. I screw the cap onto the bottle before seeing a tall man leaning against the counter. His friend talks to him but his gaze is kept on mine as he takes a shot of straight tequila.

He's a friend of almost everyone I know. I always saw him when I would pick up the girls from the crazy parties she would be at. He's familiar, but I can't place his name. Almost everyone around him was familiar and I had known from high school. The unnamed guy continues to stare at me and he smirks. I glance back down and turn my body away, leaning against the counter. I keep my gaze down at my feet and then I see another pair of shoes in front of me. I look up and see the chocolate haired guy in front of me. The same plastered smirk is on his face as he leans his body close to mine and reaches behind me for something. He smells good and it's intoxicating. He pulls away and I see a red cup in his hand.