FORTY FOUR

A Week Later

Holding the cupcake in my hand, I make my way through the store that Diana worked at. My left hand covered the small flame from the single candle as I carefully tried to hide through the sections of the makeup while trying to spot the birthday girl. I see Diana as she finishes helping a customer learn to apply lip liner and clear my throat as I quietly sing-song to her.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday Princess Diana!" I joke as she gasps and smiles widely, "Happy birthday to you!"

Diana's smile turns into a small giggle and she blows out the candle before taking the cupcake and setting it down on the vanity mirror behind her. She hugs me tightly and we sway side to side.

"Jazzy!" Diana squeals in my ear. "You didn't have to do this!"

"There was no better way to spend my lunch break," I reply in her ear. We pull back from the hug and Diana removed the candle and tossed it in the tiny trash behind her.

"Thank you, Jasmine. You're such a wonderful friend." She smiles.

I smile back at her and give her one last hug before we talk about tonight and where to get dressed and ready. We agreed it would be and Paige and I's place and I told her I would text the girls in the group chat. After delivering her the cupcake and giving her one last hug, I exited the Sephora and began to walk the two blocks back to Lush.

My phone rang in my pocket and I answered it as I saw Shawn's contact photo pop up. It was a photo of him sleeping in his bedroom back in Canada with my finger up his nose, completely unbeknownst to him.

"Hi, Canada." I say as I answer his call.

"He - Canada? Oh don't forget you fell in love with Canada, baby." Shawn replied.

"What's up?" I ask him as I stop at the corner while I wait for the walk signal to come on.

"How many minutes do you have left of your break?"

I look at my watch and then answer him. "Twenty minutes. Why?"

"Perfect." Shawn says before hanging up. I get ready to call him back but feel someone take my hand in theirs. I look at the hand, see the familiar guitar tattoo on the persons forearm and look up to see Shawn acting casual.

"How's the weather down there?" Shawn asks me as he looks down at me.

I slap his arm playfully and he laughs before wrapping his arm around me and bringing my body into his, forcing me into hugging him. I wrap my arms around him and he leans down to kiss the top of my head.

"What're you doing here?" I ask him.
"It's your lunch break. I'm hungry. You're hungry." Shawn replies.

"What do you wanna get?" I ask him. He purses his lips to the side as he thinks and then we cross the street with the rest of the crowd. "Wanna get an açaí bowl?"

"Yeah, I've been craving one all day!" I tell him.

"Craving?! Jasmine, is there something you wanna tell me?" Shawn jokes.

"Shut up!" I playfully push him. "Come on, I know a great place just a couple block ahead."

"Why should I trust you to lead the way? I know my way around this city." Shawn replies.