sixty-five

By five in the afternoon, Shawn had met my family and we were unpacked. The two of us sat on the couch of the living room; my legs stretched out over his legs and his hands by my feet. My mom and dad were out at the outside bar with Selma's mom and dad. They were all close, especially since Selma's dad was my fathers brother and her mother was my moms sister. Her parents met at my parents wedding.

"So what does one do for fun around here in the Hampton's?" Shawn asks me as an old romantic movie plays on the television.

"We have the beach, volleyball, the beach, and the food." I reply.

"Two of those include me being shirtless. And I believe you have an aunt you want me to avoid while shirtless."

"She's not here though. Her flight got delayed so she won't be here for another hour or two."

"So volleyball it is? I wanna see how good of a player you are." He says.

I cock my head to the side and squint my eyes. "Is that a challenge, Mendes?"

"Think you can't handle it, Callaghan?" He replies as he mimicked my motions.

I nod my head and stand up. "Game on then."

We run up the stairs and I grab my pink and green alligator two piece and head into the bathroom to change while Shawn changes in my room. After knocking on the door, I step back into the room and put my clothes in the hamper.

"You ready to lose like a bitch?" I ask.
"Woah, easy with the swear words!" He replies as he puts on a Nike tank.
"Sorry, sorry. That was competitive Jasmine speaking." I say.

"By the way, I'm not going to be the one who loses like a bitch," Shawn replies. I grab a pair of running shorts and put them on over my bottoms and we walk down the stairs and outside. Chandler, Chloe, Selma, Matthew and some of my cousins are outside on the beach already.

"Volleyball! Who's in?" I shout as we walk towards them.

"Teams?" Chloe asks.

"Shawn here thinks he can beat me," I point at him with my thumb. Chandler and Selma let out a laugh.

"I played hockey, rugby, football, and basketball. I'm pretty sure I can take down Jasmine." Shawn replies.

"Tell me, have you won four state championships in a row? Don't think so." I say.

"Have you won three rugby, two football, one hockey, three basketball state championships in a row? Didn't think so!" Shawn replies.

"Holy shit!" Chandler says. "That's gotta be a lot of rings. Sorry, Jazz, but I'm going with Shawn."

"So should we pick?" Shawn asks me.
"I'll go first," I say. "Matthew."

Shawn goes. "Selma."
I go. "Chloe."

We end up with five on each team. I had Chloe, Matthew, my cousin Natalia, and two of the four bridesmaids, Caitlyn and Angela. Shawn had Chandler, Chloe, my cousin Joey, and the other bridesmaids, Katy and Elizabeth.

I went to my spot on the back right to serve while Shawn stood in the middle of his side of the net. "Careful, baby. Don't hurt yourself."

"This ones coming to you!" I say. I toss the ball up in the air and swing my hand back before slapping the ball hard. The ball goes over the net and Shawn hits it up. It goes on over to Katy in the front and she tosses it over the net. Matthew spikes the ball over the net, scoring us our point.