eighteen

Seven shots of Tequila, two wine coolers, and half a bottle of wine later, all three girls were giggling over Diana's burp. Charlie, Diana, and Paige were on the couch, and I sat on the floor, taking out The First Time from the DVD player.

"Alright. What are we watching next?" I asked the girls.

"Your sex tape with Shawn." Diana whisper-yelled at me. In her mind, it was a whisper. But out loud, it was a shout.

"Ha-ha," I mock in a monotone voice.

"Put on - oh, wait, what's it called?" Paige stopped to think. "Oh yeah, put on Heathers!"

"Is that the film with Wynona Rider?" Charlie asked.

"Mm hm." I nod.

"Ooh, yeah, put it in!"

"That's what Jasmine told Shawn." Diana said.

The girls laughed, and I had to admit, it was a little bit funny. I laughed a bit with them before putting the movie in the player. As I hit play, the doorbell rang.

"Is the pizza here?" Diana asked me.

"We just ate pizza...two minutes ago." I remind her.

"Oh," she says.

I get up from the floor to answer the door. Jack is standing there with a big bouquet of white roses - Paige's favorite. I quickly exit and close the door behind me.

"I want to see Paige." Jack tells me.

"Look, I know we talked and all last night, but now isn't a good time." I whisper.

"Why?" He asks me. "And why are you whispering?"

"Jasmine!" It's Paige. "Who's at the door?"

I grab the doorknob to stop Paige from opening it, but she is much stronger than I am. The door swings open and I fall down on the floor inside. I go unnoticed by both, Jack and Paige.

"Jack." Paige says.

"These are for you." Jack says. He hands her the roses and she takes them in her hands.

"What are you doing here?"

"Paige, baby girl, I miss you. And I'm so, so sorry for thinking you were selfish." I crawl out of their way and leave them to talk amongst each other.

"Who was at the door?" Charlie asks me.

"Jack," I whisper.

"She better not take him back!" Diana inputs.

"What? Why?" Charlie asks her.

"They've been together four years and he dumps her because she thinks about her future? That doesn't sound right at all."

"Okay but putting that aside, you have to admit, he treated her right."

"I know that. But they've only been with each other, no one else. For God's sake, they're like high school version of Marshall and Lily!"

"Who?" Charlie asks.

Diana rolls her eyes, "How I Met Your Mother? Have none of you watched that show with me before?"

Before anyone can reply, Paige closes the door and locks it. We see that she took the roses, but there's no sign of Jack.

"Who was at the door?" Diana asks Paige.

"A friend." Paige replies.

"What friend brings you roses?" Charlie asks.

"Someone who really wants me back." Paige comments, tossing the roses on the kitchen counter.