eighty-six

I'm in the locker room by myself. There's still a bunch of loud noise from outside. My hands were covered in bruises and blood. The door bursts open and in walks Jack, Charles, Johnson and the two recruiters. I can only sit on the bench and stare at my hands and look at the deep red blood that was from Connor.

"Holy fucking shit!!" Johnson says as he stands in front of me.

"Shawn, I know that I'm talking, but I am speechless." Jack says.

"Shawn," Charles says to me. "These are the recruiters, Anthony Dunham and Carl Klein."

"We'd shake your hand, but we don't want to get any blood onto our hands." Dunham says.

I look up at them and then back down at my hands. My body is still in shock. Every time I close my eyes, even to blink, I can see the way I bashed Connor. I feel his bones cracking under my skin. I can hear them, too. In the words of the crowd, I fucked him up.

"Sorry," I say, "I'm just in shock."

"That's understandable," Klein says to me. "Anyone would be if they were about to sign into a three million deal."

"Remind us of the deal again." Jack says as he sits down next to me.

"You have a week to pack and gather your things before you're flying out first class to Vegas. Once you arrive, you're set to begin training and you'll be staying at the MGM Grand, all expenses paid. After your first professional fight, you're expected to move into your new condo, where you'll have to pay the expenses with the money you've made from the deal and the fight." Dunham explains to me. "We also expect that you don't involve yourself in any type of funny business that could cause a scandal."

"We understand that you still might be in shock, but we have the documents for you to sign." Klein opens up the black briefcase and hands the stack of documents to Charles and a pen. "We've already pointed out where for you to sign. We'll give you a couple of minutes."

"Thank you," Charles says as Jack holds the door for the recruiters and they exit.

"Shawn, you okay?" Jack says to me. I can only nod my head.

"Why don't we get that tape off your hands." Johnson says. He sits next to me and takes my right hand and I hold it out as he begins to unravel the tape. I watch as the deep red and sweaty tape was removed from my hand. My knuckles were bloody and had small cuts and bruises forming. The other hand had the same thing, but seeing as I used my right hand more, it had a bit more damage to it.

"We should take you to get those cleaned." Jack says.

"No," I shake my head .

"Those could get infected. And we gotta make sure there's no damage to your eye. You got hit pretty bad." He replies.

"No," I say again. "I'm gonna sign the documents and go."

"Where you gonna go?" Johnson asks me.

"We're gonna go for a drive." I say. "Us three."

Charles hands me the pen after reading over the contract and tells me where to sign. Some of the blood transfers from my skin to the paper as I sign. There's a knock on the door and Jack gets up and opens it to reveal the recruiters. I stand up and hand them the contracts.

"They're signed," I say.

"Congrats," Dunham says as he extends his hand out to me. I shake and it give a weak smile. "Welcome to the big leagues, kid." I shake Klein's hand and they both leave.

"Is Westfield okay?" I ask as I close the door.

"Yeah," Johnson says. "They took him to the hospital and said he got jumped by three guys."