eighty

- shawn -

With tears coming down her face, I watch as Jasmine looks completely broken. Her nose is red and her eyes look glossy and slightly puffy. She didn't mean to hurt me, but she did, she hurt me. "Go," I say to her. "The meter's running."

"Shawn," Jasmine speaks and her voice cracks in the slightest. "I love you." She steps forward and places a kiss on my cheek. I nod my head and place my hands in my pockets.

"Go. We'll talk about this later."
"Can you say it back so I know we're okay?"

I turn to her and give a glare and my voice comes out stiff and flat as I say to her, "We're okay."

She sucks in her bottom lip and turns around. I watch as she walks away, completely broken and hurting on the outside. I can only imagine how bad she was hurting on the inside. Her body is out of view and she becomes a shape in the distance.

I reach into my pocket and grab my phone and send out a text.

To: Michelle
I need to talk to you.

I look up and see that Jasmine is gone. I sigh, shaking my head and swearing under my breath.

To: Jasmine
It's only for tonight.

To: Jasmine
I love you, too.

"Shawn?" I turn around and see Jasmine's mom walking towards me. I place my phone in my pocket and give her a small smile.

"Oh, hi," I say. "Look, I know you mean well, but I don't want to go into detail about what just happened."

"I know." She says. "Chandler's calling a cab. He says you two are going to help with something."

"Oh."

"Listen, I knew. I thought that she already told you when you came to me that day. But after that, I knew. I should have said something, too."

"No, don't blame yourself." I say.
"I'm in as much wrong as Jasmine is."

"Shawn, you are an incredibly nice person who brings my daughter so much happiness. She didn't mean to hurt you, she didn't." She tells me.

"Well she did. So," I shrug my shoulders.

"But she didn't mean to." Diana shakes her head. "That story I told you? I was in Jasmine's shoes. I know how much pain she is in and how bad she is hurting." Her accent slips out at some of the words she says. "I remember crying on the plane because I didn't know if he and I were over. Please, don't blame her for not knowing how to deliver news that would break anyone's heart."

"Yo, Shawn!" I turn my head to Chandler standing at the patio with his hands over his mouth. "The cab is here!"

I raise my hand to let him know I heard him and turn back to Diana. "I'll talk to her, just, not right now."

"Please don't be mad." She says to me.

"I'll try my hardest not to show it." I give a small smile and then begin to walk towards Chandler.

"Ready to do this? Ready to party your ass off like a frat boy?" Chandler asks me as he places a hand at my shoulder.

I nod my head. "I need to party more than anything right now."

Chloe sat at the table lowly talking with Jasmine's dad and he nodded while looking glum. I tell Chandler that I'll meet him outside and he nods before exiting. I clear my throat as I step over to the pair. Chloe looks at me and gives me a sympathetic look.