seventy-nine

My heels are in my hand as I run along the sand. Shawn was a few feet ahead of me, fuming, as he continued to walk away. The cup was still in his hand and he slowly sipped it. I was incredibly scared and anxious as I continued to chase him in the dark by the pale moonlight. The waves crashed against the shoreline and a horn blared in the distance.

"Shawn," I softly call out. I let go of my shoes and they drop to the ground. "Shawn."

He stops walking and takes the last drink of his liquor. Shawn turns around and looks at me. I've never seen such a look of hatred in my life before, and it scared me knowing that it came from someone I love. We were far from the restaurant, but could still see it in the distance.

"What?" He says.
"Please, let me explain."

"What could you possibly say that could make this situation any better? And the Hail Mary isn't going to help you in this fucking situation." Shawn says angrily.

"I."

Shawn steps closer and I feel incredibly scared. His eyes are filled with such anger and his jaw is clenched so tight and a vein is prominent in his neck.

"Be honest with me," he says and I close my eyes. "How long did you know?"

"Know what?" I ask.

"Jasmine, now is not the time to be playing dumb. For how long did you know you would be moving to Chicago?"

I open my eyes and look at him. A new emotion has appeared in his eyes - hurt. "Since we started dating."

Shawn scoffs and throws his glass at the rocks up ahead and it shatters. I flinch as he raises his voice at me, "Un-fucking-believable! This whole time you knew!?"

"I didn't think we would be anything serious! I thought we would only be a fling!" I say. The words escape my mouth before I can shut it. My hand flies to my mouth and Shawn looks at me, his hands resting on his hips.

He nods his head slowly. "A fling, huh? Did you think we were a fling when I brought you to meet my family? Did you think we were just a fling when I took your virginity."

"Well virginity is a concept created by..."
"Jasmine just shut up!" He says.

"Why are you so mad?" I ask.

"I wanna be happy for you, I want to, but you fucking - you lied. You lied to me this whole summer for what? Why did you lie?"

"I don't know, Shawn, I don't! If I knew I obviously would tell you!" I raise my voice.

"But you clearly had no problem telling your ex-boyfriend about it, did you?"

I remain silent and place my hands at my temples while shaking my head. I can feel tears welling in my eyes.

"Jasmine, you talked to an ex-boyfriend about this! You told him about your move to Chicago, but didn't even bother to tell me, your current boyfriend. You went and talked to an ex!"

"Oh, don't you dare talk about going and talking to ex's." I say while pointing a finger at him.

"Don't even give me any shit for that." He shakes his head.