thirty-two

"Hey, I didn't know she was fifteen!" Jack shouts as we roll up to the neighborhood. For the past fifteen minutes, all five of the boys have been yelling about Jack and his almost court case.

"Bullshit!" Shawn shouts from the passenger seat. "Babe, he knew that girl was fifteen!"

"Wait!" I shout over the boys. "No one has told me the story yet."

"Yes," Jack says from the trunk, "no one has told her how it really went down."

"Allow me," Scott says. I turn and face him. "It was five summers ago. Jack was out with friends at the batting cages."

"It was a movie theater!" Jack shouts.

"Whatever. Anyways, he meets this girl. Now, she only gave her name, not her age or anything. She was about his height and this girl looked so grown. We all just wanted to...you get it." I glance at Shawn and he laughs behind his hand. "So, they're together for about a month before they finally decide to go all the way."

"And he still didn't know her age yet?" I ask Scott.

"She hadn't told me!" Jack defends himself.

"After they do it, he goes to the batting cages the next day where the cops show up for him. It turns out, the girl's dad was the sheriff at the time so he found out what she did. Long story short, our dad had to defend Jack against a statutory rape case." Scott finishes telling me.

"But they failed to remember how tough of a litigator our dad is." Jack chuckles.

"Speaking of which," Daniel says, "did he leave the gates unlocked?"

Gates? Odd.

"Yeah, just texted me." Shawn replies as he unlocks his phone.

Daniel nods before making a left turn.

"So is this your house?" I ask them.

"Our summer cabin." Liam says. "Our house is on the other side of town."

I look ahead and see a big, beautiful cabin overlooking a lake.

"Home sweet home." Shawn says. Daniel drives up and the gates open on their own, alleging the car to enter.

"This place is so beautiful." I say.

"Wait until you see the inside." Liam tells me.

Daniel parks the car in front of the house and shuts off the engine. We all get out and I can't help but stare at the place. It's got to be about two floors, but it's so wonderfully built.

"They're here!" I turn and see a woman walking out the house, followed by a man slightly taller than her.

"Don't be nervous, princess." Shawn whispers in my ear as he comes up behind me. Shawn takes my hand in his and we walk up to the cabin where his parents stand out front.

"Shawn!" His mother says in excitement. He lets go of my hand to walk up the stone steps and hug his mother. She's shorter than him by a foot or so. His father joins and hugs Shawn. He's about his height.

"You must be Jasmine." His mother says as she walks towards me. "I'm Karen."

"Hello," I smile. She engulfs me in a hug that I return. "Nice to meet you."

"Likewise. It's so nice to meet the girl Shawn won't stop talking about." She smiles.

"Don't embarrass the boy, Karen." His dad laughs. He walks down the stairs to where I am. "I'm Manny, it's wonderful to meet you Jasmine," he says as we hug.