fifty-three

Shawn ended up sleeping over after he cooked me up something to eat, which were pancakes and eggs.

In the morning, I awoke to the beginning of a calm, soothing rain storm. Usually, the rain puts me back to sleep. But this one didn't. It couldn't put me back to sleep.

Today, July 29, was the last day to submit in my essay to Northwestern University - my dream school.

The question: what is the hardest challenge that you have faced? And what was the outcome?

I turn my head and face Shawn. He's fast asleep, his lips slightly parted as soft and quiet little snores escape his lips. His brown hair is messy, making him look extremely cozy.

I turn my head to the right and look at my computer, then back at Shawn, and then up at the ceiling.

Okay, I have to do this. I have to turn in my college essay and I have to move to Chicago...which is in less than two months.

Carefully, I get out of bed, trying not to disturb Shawn. My movement goes unnoticed and I tip toe on over to the computer. I turn it on and log into my account at Northwestern's website.

I have one day to do this. This is the last day.

What is the hardest challenge that you have faced? What was the outcome?

I sit there, looking at the blank page that was supposed to hold my answer in 5,000 words or less. How was I going to do this? How was I going to go about this?

Throughout my 19 years of life, I have faced many hard challenges. I could tell you about how I had to be in two important places at once. Or how I fell down ten feet to the floor during a cheer stunt. But I won't. Instead, I'll tell you how I am going to have the break the heart of someone who loves me, just so I can do a selfish thing and think about my career as a future Journalist.

I turned my head and saw Shawn was still asleep, only this time his back was to me. I turn back and continue to type.

When I was 1,000 words in, I heard Shawn starting to wake up. I quickly saved what I had wrote and exited out of the website.

"What were you on?" Shawn asks me.

I turn around and find him facing me, stretching out his arms. "Huh?"

"You clicked out of something, what was it?"

"Oh! It was my blog. It's quite embarrassing." I lie, letting out a weak little laugh.

I get out of my chair and lie down on the bed opposite from Shawn. His feet are by my shoulders and he rests a hand on my shin.

"What's up?" I ask him.

He sends me a sleepy smile and closes his eyes, rubbing his hand up and down my leg.

"Nothing much." Shawn replies. "What're you doing tonight?"

"Dunno," I shrug." "Depends on if my boyfriend has anything planned tonight."

"Wait - you have a boyfriend? You should have told me something before I slept in your bed last night." Shawn jokes.

I laugh and playfully kick at his hand. "What's in your mind?"

"Remember Chris?" Shawn asks me.

"Party king?" I ask.

"That's the one," Shawn nods. "Anyways, he's throwing a party again and he wants to see you again. Says he wants to party with you."

"Is anyone I know gonna be there?" I ask.