Chapter 14: Andy

Carina's point of view

After hearing Andy was inside my anxiety spiked wag up. Maya running into fires already scares me. Armed gunman who has already killed and hurt so many people and threatening more is also scary. Maya running into that to save her best friend. This is my worst nightmare realized. I had to get to work we had a woman who was pregnant and shot In the leg needing emergency surgery to keep her babies in. She was only 32 weeks. Babies would need some NICU time but would be okay if born now, but we want them to cook a little longer. I entered into surgery and told the nurse to keep an eye on my phone not telling anyone the situation. About 2 hours in I got a phone call. "Dr. DeLuca, phone call from "Bambina". "On speaker please." "Si." "Bella ciao. What's going on?" "Carina. Andy was shot. She's in bad shape. Can you make sure the best take care of her?!" "Yes maya. I'll take care of it now." I turned to my nurse. "Page Dr. Hunt." "Already on it." She alerted dr. Hunt to be down in the pit to recover this. 10 minutes later I'm closing and Dr. Bailey walks in. "Carina come wirh me now." I followed as I finished closing and took my gown off to scrub out. "Miranda what's going on?" "Maya was hurt not Andy. She didn't want to pull you out of surgery." "Take me to her." "Car..." "NOW." She motioned for me to follow her, we just went down 1 OR room. We went in to the scrub room. There was so much blood and they were working quickly to stop the bleeding. "What happened? She's a firefighter not a cop. Why did she get hurt? Was she shot?" "She was pulling kids out of the back of the building and the shooter noticed. Shot her point blank. But she had the gear save her life. She has a bullet in her shoulder but we will extract and patch her up. Look they're closing now. Bullets out and they'll do reconstruction surgery later on as she heals." Knowing maya would live caused me to completely break down in sobs and fall to the ground. Miranda held me and let me fall apart. Owen walked out to scrub out and updated me. "Carina, she's okay. She's going to recovery. It couldn't have gone better. She's a fighter and will continue to. She will need a reconstruction surgery and physical therapy.  But she's okay. She can see Torres for the rest." Callie turned to me, "she will get full motion and go back to work in 10-12 weeks most likely. That will probably be the worst news for her." "But best for me. Thank you both. Sorry I'm a mess." "If this was Arizona, and it had been. I would be too." "She was." Added owen. I got up and went to shower before meeting maya in post op. I wanted to be there when she woke up. I fell asleep in the chair beside her when I felt her stir with me holding her hand.