Chapter 15: Awakenings

Maya's point of view

"Mmm."

"Shhh. Bambina you have tube in your throat. Wait!" Carina ran out to grab a nurse who came back in to help her. "I'm not really supposed to do this with friends or family. But I will only do this and give the rest over." She said as she took the tube out. "Cough Bella it will help." She encouraged as it came out. It hurt like hell and I feel horrible. "Wha." Ouch. "Maya, you were shot while helping the kids out. Your gear saved your life but they had to take tbe bullet out of your shoulder. You'll be home for 10-12 weeks to recover and you need another surgery once this one heals. Your okay." She had tears in her eyes and was trying to keep it together. "Will." I coughed struggling to speak. "Maya it can wait, you're in a lot of pain and will struggle to speak for a little while." "No. Will you." I took a coughing break. She waited patiently thinking I need a favor. "Be my girlfriend?" I coughed again but she got the question. "Really Bambina?" She laughed and kissed my cheek. "Of course!" I smiled and realized I was so tired. "Tired. Sleep with me?" I asked horsely. She climbed into bed behind me as the big spoon. She pulled the blanket over us and we fell asleep together. I didn't get to sleep long as I had nurses in and out all night long and carina checking my vitals and keeping the medicine flowing. I don't mind the last part. Carina woke me at 7. "Bambina, sorry to wake you but I don't want you to worry if I'm not here. I'm going to do rounds on my patients but that's all I'm doing today. I just need to keep things up to date and check on my interns. Soon they'll do rounds for you too and I don't want to be in the way. Callie said you can eat so what do you want for breakfast?" I pulled her closer to me to kiss her. "Are you my girlfriend?" She looked nervous, "yes? Maya do you remember asking me yesterday?" "I thought so, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Can we talk later? I do want you to be my girlfriend but a lot has happened." She sighed in relief. "Okay, yes bella we will talk later." She kissed me gently on the forehead. I fell back asleep and soon was woken by a room full of young doctors and one dark haired doctor who was slightly older than me. "Good morning Captain. We're doing rounds and are ready to present if you are!" "Ready as I'll ever be." An intern spoke up who had glasses and short curly hair. "Captain maya bishop, brought in at 3am for a gunshot wound to the right shoulder. Dr. Torres and Dr. Hunt preformed emergency surgery that was a success. Dr. Torres plans to do reconstruction surgery later today or tomorrow morning based on healing." Dr. Torres spoke next, "great, thanks glasses. Move on class." They all left but she stayed longer and took a seat next to me. "Hi maya, im Callie. Carina is a good friend of mine and my wife, Arizona's. I want you to know you're in good hands and that I'll have you back to work on no time. I won't let you go until you're ready. I hope we can be good friends because you'll be spending a lot of time with me on physical therapy. Although, you'll probably hate me some too." I laughed, "that's fine, I'll struggle to wait 10 weeks. I need to talk to my team. How is Andy? Is carina okay?" "You're team is arriving at 8 am to visit during visitation hours. Andy is here in the room next to you. She's okay, but was hurt as well. She should be released today. Carina is processing. She saw you on the OR table and all the blood. So she's fragile right now." "When do too think I can go home?" "If you go home with someone then 2 days. If alone, 10 days. You'll need support to do almost everything." "Okay; I'll talk to Andy to see if I can stay with her." She smiled, "there may also be a doctor who may want to help as well. Choose what you want, but that's all I'll say." "Thanks Callie." She waved and moved on with her team. Warren came in and said the rest of the team would be in soon. "Want to go for a ride to get out the that bed first?" "Hell yes, thanks warren. Carina is getting breakfast but I forgot to tell her what I wanted. Can we find her?" "You got it, to the cafe."