Chapter 19: Family

Carina's point of view

"Maya, can I ask you a question? I don't want you to get mad or defensive. You can tell me you aren't ready and I'll accept that. But I want to ask." "Okay, I will listen to the question and  I promise I'll be honest." "What happened between you and your parents?" She was quiet for several minutes but she reached over and held my hand while I drove. She didn't say anything and when I finally hit a red light o looked over and she was crying. I wiped her tears, "Bella you don't have to answer I don't mean to upset you." "I need to tell you and want to. Truly. I just need to get there slowly." "Okay take all the time you need." She took a deep breath. "Growing up my dad was abusive. Physically and emotionally to my mom, my brother, and me. Track was his way of controlling me. I was good and loved if an of course he had to be in charge of it. If I didn't do well on his standards he wouldn't let me eat. Or he would wake me up with freezing water when I missed a run. He would ignore me for weeks. He hit my mom a lot and she was always so quiet. She still lives with him and I hate that." "Where is your brother?" "He started art school and then became addicted to drugs. He started living on the streets and he's living in Seattle still. I stay in contact some. But I blame myself, but more so my dad for him being on the streets on drugs. I'm waiting for the day a cop shows up to tell me he's dead." "Maya I'm so sorry." I put my hand on her thigh and she held my hand there. Allowing herself to cry. "I miss him and wish my mom could get away. But she doesn't see anything wrong and my dad is worse when I'm around so I never see them. My dad shows up sometimes and creates so many problems too. He doesn't know where I live but does know where I work. So it's nice to have a team who will have my back if he shows up." We finally got to her house. I pulled her into a hug and let her cry. "There's so much more but I just want to have a family of my own one day that I can love how I wanted to be as a little girl." "You will one day Bambina. Hopefully with me but I love you so much." "I love you too. Can we go inside?" "Yes, let's go." I feel so connected to her now that we've talked about our families. We both come from hard childhoods growing up too fast. I just want to protect her and help her see she's so loved now. When we got inside she pulled me to her room. "Take off your clothes." "What?!" I asked laughing. She kept a straight face though. " I have one arm babe, I can't really help you or me. But I need to feel close to you and I've been waiting to have sex with you. I just took a pain killer so I have a little while to feel great before I get sleepy. So take. Off. Your. Clothes." I took off my clothes except for my underwear. Maya came over and I helped her as well but left her in her sling with her cast. "Fuck this injury I can only use my left hand and I'm right handed." " I guess you'll have to let me help out them." I did with a smirk. She kissed me and pushed me back onto the bed and climbed on top to straddle me. She began to grind into my leg and tried to kiss me but struggled to protect her hurt arm. "Bambina, I think you're going to have to be a bottom until you can get rid of the sling." She let out a frustrated sound. She climbed off and laid on the bed looking off at the wall. "Baby, maya. Look at me." I said while I climbed to straddle her. She looked at me and her eyes fell to my breasts and she grabbed my hips to hold onto me. "I know this is frustrating but we will make it work. I do love a good challenge don't you?" She smiled a little and adjusted our legs to be alternating together. As I would grind into her we were both feeling the pleasure. She reached up with her good arm and grabbed my throat slightly and pulled me down to kiss her. We came together but she was so tired and I could tell sore. "I think that's enough natural painkillers for now." I said climbing off. She kissed me again and I pulled her close to me. We fell asleep and slept until the next morning.

Maya's point of view

"Carina?" "Yes bella?" "Can you get my meds? My arm is killing me." She quickly got up and got me the meds I could take and a glass of water. "Here, take these and drink all of the water. You need to stay hydrated." I did and tried to sit up but was in so much more pain. "Damn, this hurts so much more today. Why is that?" "It's swelling, and healing. You also may have overdone it last night baby." This is so annoying, it's already hard enough to be close to someone and for me to be open with them but now I have this injury. "'Maya are you okay?" "Yes. I mean, I guess I don't really know. I'm sorry." "You don't have to be sorry and you don't have to know." She said as she sat down next to me. I pulled my knees up to me and curled up. She crawled behind me and pulled me into her chest. She just held me and allowed me to cry. After a while I said: "I don't regret it." "Regret what?" "Saving those kids. They were so scared and they found a way out on the roof. They needed help getting down so I climbed up to bring them down. I wasn't trying to be a hero, they were doing that themselves. It was my job:" "I know bambina, you didn't run in there saving people. You did your job and saved so many kids. And drawing him out the police were able to take the shot. So those kids saved everyone and you were a part of that. I know you weren't being reckless." She nuzzled her face into my neck and I could feel she was crying. I turned around to face her and pulled her chin up to look at me. "What's wrong carina?" "I was just thinking about that night. How scared I was knowing you were there. And then finding out you were shot. I've never been so afraid maya. I know it's your job and this will happen again, but I don't know how they do it." "How who does it baby?" "How Miranda and the firefighters partners." "Well they have a support group. For all the partners. Miranda leads it actually. It's a place where you can talk about how you feel without feeling bad. You could join them; it would help." "I would like to try. I think it could help. I could never stand in the way of your career but I can't feel like this all the time." I put my legs over here and put my forehead against her neck. She held me close and leaded back against the bed. We stayed there a while and I get my eyes get heavy.