Chapter 2 || New York, New School

ANNABETH CHASE

"Annabeth, I want you to sweep the floors."

"Why me?" she asked Helen, her stepmom.

"Because," Helen sighed as if she'd already gone over this a million times before, "You have a wacko mixed blood and that didn't do you any good so you're stuck sweeping floors."

Annabeth stared at Matthew and Bobby playing in the backyard, pretending they were sailors.

"Why don't they sweep the floors?"

"They're my little boys! I'd never let my baby boys do chores!"

"And you'd let your stepdaughter do the chores even though you said 'I love all my children equally'?"

"Yeah. You're not my child."

"You know, if I'm not your child, you can't boss me around," she said back.

She was sick and tired of this Helen chick. All she had been yapping on about since Annabeth was little was about how she was a weirdo and how her children are gods and how she was their lonely and useless peasant made to please them and her. Who cares? Annabeth was not her child and that meant she was her slave? And the worst part? Her dad didn't even care that Helen treated her like she was some dog that would lick up any mess that was made! All he said was 'Annabeth, your stepmother's right'. And that's it.

"But you live under my roof and you'll do as I say," Helen bit back.

"Uh... you share this roof with my dad."

"And your father doesn't seem to have a problem with it, does he? So get to cleaning before I make you lick the floors."

She walked outside to the backyard to play with her two precious darling boys. So what did Annabeth do? She knew exactly what to do. Ditching the mop and the bucket she ran upstairs, bursting into her room. Annabeth grabbed all her clothes, blankets, devices, and money and stuffed them into her suitcases. And when she was sure everything was packed, she silently slipped them down the stairs. Helen was too busy playing with Bobby and Matthew to notice her anyways.

Annabeth took out a pen and scribbled on a piece of paper:

I'm leaving this shithole forever. I hope I never see your faces again. P.S. I took a lot of food so DEAL WITH IT. - Annabeth

And she did as she said. Annabeth grabbed a pillowcase and stuffed it full of food before running out the door. She waited at the bus station and hopped on a bus taking off for the airport. Where was she going? Someplace across the world from them--wait, across the world is too expensive--across the country from them. New York.

-AT THE AIRPORT-

"I'd like to purchase last minute tickets on a plane to New York. Any seat works fine for me."

"And your name is?"

"Annabeth Chase."

"Alright. Does Delta Airlines work for you?"

"Perfect for me."

"You total is 217 dollars, please."

Annabeth handed her the wad of cash and she counted it very slowly before giving her the ticket. She checked in, went through security, and got KFC. Yes. KFC. So when she got on the plane, she whispered goodbye to San Francisco and bad memories and juju in general. Annabeth turned on a movie and began to watch intently.

-AT NEW YORK AFTER 5 HOURS AND 26 MINUTES-

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have arrived in Manhattan, New York. It is currently 8:26 PM. Please exit the plane. Thank you for flying with Delta Airlines."

Getting off the plane, she looked around at the night sky. It was full of light and fun... Not like San Francisco. Not one bit. Annabeth took off to book her hotel. She had no idea what was gonna happen to her at the moment, but she had taken a lot of money. A lifetime of her mom raining drachmas down on her for her birthday and saving up money from working was a lot of money.

Annabeth walked over to her friend, Piper's, apartment. Her dad said it might be easier if she lived on her own and that he'd give her money and everything because even if they lived in New York, Mr. McLean had to often go to LA and it was a lot of work, so Mr. McLean bought a house in LA and he lives there now with his daughter in New York living in her own apartment.

"WASSUP SISTA?!" she yelled and hugged Annabeth.

She hugged her back and Piper pulled her inside.

"I got your text, and yes of course you can move in! I have an empty guest bedroom that is seriously needing someone to live in it so YOU ARE PERFECT FOR THAT!"

How did Piper and Annabeth meet? Camp Half-Blood. Best summer camp ever! She loved it so much, it was basically her home. After she was done unpacking and showering and doing whatever mojo she had to do, Piper had fixed up some tomato soup and garlic bread.

"Thanks," Annabeth said, hugging her.

"No problem! We're gonna have so much fun! Though school starts in two weeks so that su--"

"School?"

"Yeah... school."

"No. School! What school do I go to?"

"Easy! Just come with me to Goode High School!"

"What's... Goode High School?"

"It's a high school!"

"No, not that, Piper... I meant like... where is it?"

"Oh, not far from here. It's pretty nice over there. I really like it, actually. And all we need to do is give a call to Principal Montgomery."

"Are you sure?" Annabeth asked her.

"Yep. And he'll have you enrolled immediately."

"Okay... do you have Principal Montgomery's number?"

"Yep. I'll call him now."

"Thanks," she said, plopping down on the couch after she had finished her food.

Piper hopped on next to her.

"NOW LET'S WATCH SOME TV!"