Chapter 48 || Recovery

ANNABETH CHASE

She woke up to many bandages covering her body, seeing various casts on her ankle and a big bandage on her hip. Groaning, she sat up. Panic flared in her chest as she feared where they were. Where were they? Annabeth saw the door open and she tried to leap out of bed, only to find she couldn't. So she clenched her fists, ready to attack whoever came in. Piper saw her panicked gaze and charmspoke.

"Calm down... you are safe."

The tension dissolved in Annabeth's body and she took a deep breath.

"Thanks," she whispered.

Annabeth looked over to the side to see Percy stirring slightly, but he still slept, a small trail of drool rolling down from the corner of his mouth to his chin. But nonetheless, he looked so cute. Like an adorable five-year-old.

"What did you just say?" Piper smirked.

"N-Nothing," she stuttered, "I said absolutely nothing."

Piper raised an eyebrow, walking out of the room. But before she could fully close the door, Annabeth stopped her.

"Piper?"

"Yeah?" she peeked her head in.

"Jiper's next if Percabeth was possible," Annabeth smirked.

Piper turned red before closing the door. Rolling her eyes, Annabeth closed them, thinking she'd have a peaceful dream. If not, she already had her fair share of demigod dreams to get used to them. She didn't get her demigod dream. And her dream wasn't peaceful either. It was a PTSD dream. When Percy and Annabeth were in the rubble avalanche zone.

Annabeth was watching as the car slammed down on Percy, cutting a large hole in his midsection, so severe that his bones literally came out into the open, flesh still clinging onto the blood-stained white bones.

"PERCY!" she screamed as more rubble crashed down on him.

Longing to run to him, she tried, but a piano crushed down on her. She didn't feel pain, but it held her back. The more she struggled, the more force it used. Annabeth eventually stopped when she felt the hold of the piano loosen and she ran over to where the heap of rubble was. When Annabeth had finally dragged Percy's body out, it wasn't like he was sleeping. It looked like he'd been mauled and eaten up by a savage beast.

His flesh was ripped up, his eyes were open, glazed over, and unfocused, all the lively waves in those sea-green wonders gone. His mouth was open in a little 'o' and his whole face was covered in blood, even his pearly white teeth, which were now scarlet. Every bone in his body was sticking out at an awkward angle, his gashes sending blood to surround us.

Annabeth's whole body was getting drenched in blood as it flowed faster and faster before it all stopped. Percy's face wasn't even Nico's skin color. It was paper white. Paper white to the point where paper even cowered at how pale Percy was. He was dead. She knew it. So she screamed.

"PERCY!" she cried out, "PERCY COME BACK TO ME, PLEASE! PERCY!"

In the distance, Annabeth heard crying.

"ANNABETH! ANNABETH, NO! ANNABETH YOU CAN'T BE GONE!"

But it was faint over the sound of her own sobbing. The tears fell onto Percy's perfect face, all stained because of her. Because she was the one getting dragged into Tartarus. And he was stupid enough to love her enough to go after her.

"So much for trying to help me, huh?" a cruel voice spoke and she opened my eyes.

To her surprise, Percy was standing in front of her, his wounds still there, but his eyes were alive again.

"Percy!" Annabeth gasped, reaching to hug him, only to get pushed back roughly.

"Save it you worthless piece of shit," he growled, Riptide glinting dangerously in the dim light of Tartarus, "I fell down here for you and you didn't even bother to save me. I should've stayed drunk. I should've listened to Renee. Because she'll always be a better girlfriend than you. I mean... you KILLED me!"

"Percy..." she whispered, sobs coming out of her throat.

"You KILLED me!" he grabbed her throat now, voice dripping with fury.

Again, in the distance, Annabeth heard screaming.

"ANNABETH! NO, PLEASE! IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!"

But it was again muted by the sound of metal chopping through flesh because Percy had cut off Annabeth's head just as she rejoined the land of the living.

She was sobbing, Piper next to her, looking frightened.

"NICO!" she screamed again as Nico ran in.

"What--"

"ANNABETH!" She heard yelling and turned to see Percy on the cot, writhing.

"Stop writhing!" Nico yelled frantically, cranking up the morphine in Percy's IV.

"Annabeth..." Percy whimpered and Annabeth's heart broke.

"Annabeth, your cot's soaked in blood..." Piper stared in horror at the bloody heap of blankets.

"She must've opened up her wounds while she was thrashing," Nico sighed, "Piper, would you help me bandage her up again?"

She could only sit numbly, holding Percy's hand.

"Affection, much?" Piper wriggled her eyebrows and Annabeth quickly let go of Percy's hand.

"No," she said, her cheeks turning a bright shade of red.

"Do you... Do you wanna tell us what you saw?" Nico asked gently.

"No," Annabeth immediately shook her head, her breath coming in quick gasps.

"Sh..." Nico put a comforting hand on her shoulder, "It's okay, you don't have to if it makes you uncomfortable."

She nodded slowly before taking a large breath and letting it all out.

"Will Percy... Will he be okay?" she asked, trying to compose herself after her embarrassing moment right there.

"He'll be fine," Nico reassured her, "It's just that nasty wound in his side that's taking so long. Damn... That thing could've killed him if you weren't smart enough to bring ambrosia squares. You saved him."

You killed him... a voice hissed in her mind.

"What? You didn't kill him, he's right there," Piper frowned, pointing to a sleeping Percy, who was still crying.

"Dream," Annabeth explained, not wanting to say more.

"Do you need to rest--"

"NO I'M NOT GOING BACK TO SLEEP AGAIN!" she screamed, jumping a good five feet away from them, landing smack dab on her butt.

She groaned in pain as Nico hauled her to her feet.

"Just... sit there. I need to get you some food because you look starving!" he exclaimed, running out of the infirmary.

That's when Annabeth remembered that humans had to eat food to survive.