Chapter 34 || Court

ANNABETH CHASE

"...Therefore, Jackie Thomas should be freed from prison..." Annabeth whispered under her breath, preparing for the speech.

"Bring her in!" she heard a call and saw Jackie being walked in, handcuffs on her.

They sat her down and Annabeth walked out, taking a seat next to her.

"Are you sure this is gonna work?" Jackie whispered.

"Sure," she nodded.

"Jackie Thomas, what do you seek?" the judge said, raising an eyebrow.

"I seek freedom."

Everyone glared at her.

"And how do you... plead? I suppose your lawyer would like to say a few words?"

"Yes, your honor," Annabeth said, stepping forward, her notes and evidence ready, "Jackie Thomas never meant to try to kill Percy Jackson, in fact, she only meant to maim him. The reason being, is because Jackie Thomas's stab wound only went 1.25 inches deep, which isn't enough to be considered fatal. Plus, the knife used wasn't a kitchen knife, or anything you can't find in your own bedroom. It was a pocketknife, which is a regular defense weapon."

Jackie's eyes glittered with hope as she stared at Annabeth.

"For evidence, the medical files for Percy Jackson from the hospital are here, as I brought them. Also," Annabeth said, grabbing Jackie's old phone, "Jackie's old phone has 911 on speed dial. This meaning that Jackie was already planning on calling the police, just someone beat her to it. Knowing this, we can correctly state that Jackie Thomas's case should not have been stated as attempted murder, rather assault, which only has a sentence of 5 years. Jackie has been in prison for 6 years, which would mean Jackie would be legally allowed to get out of jail."

She finished and the whole room was silent, scrutinizing eyes staring down at Annabeth.

"Would the witness like to object against this?" the judge turned to Neil, who was sitting there.

"Uh... no, sir. Jackie did stab Percy with a pocketknife and... yeah."

"And the victim refused to show up?" the judge asked, looking down at the spot where Percy should've been.

"He refused," Annabeth answered, "He hasn't been responding to my messages."

"Your evidence is very good, Ms. Chase," the judge said, "Therefore..."

They all waited in anticipation.

"Ms. Jackie Thomas is free."

Cheering erupted from all her friends, and Jackie, as the sound of wood clanking together filled their ears with happiness. Jackie jumped up and down before being led back to prison, where she'd be changed out of her jumpsuit and given her items back. Annabeth checked the time. She had about two hours until her flight and she jumped with excitement. Just one more test. One more test, and then she could race off to Europe to beat that seaweed brain where it hurts.

And kiss him, of course.

PERCY JACKSON

Percy stared out of the window of the plane. Next stop? Italy. Yes, Italy. Home of the Nico Di Angelo. Leo sat next to him with a nervous look in his eyes.

"You should see this," he said, handing me his phone.

JACKIE THOMAS FREED FROM JAIL AFTER 6 YEAR SENTENCE FOR ASSAULT

He felt his whole body go numb as he read the title. THE TITLE ALONE. In the picture, he could see Jackie, still beautiful as ever. Cursing, Percy rolled over on his side, blanket curled around him like a cocoon. Below was a picture and he froze. It was Annabeth, Renee, his friends, and Jackie. They were smiling. Percy dropped the phone in shock, causing Leo to dive under to grab the phone.

"Ow!" he whined when it hit his head.

"Sorry," he apologized, wincing as he remembered the many PTSD dreams where all three girls had ganged up on him.

"Perce..." Leo scrolled through the article. "Jackie said she never meant to try to kill you at all. Just to maim you--"

"And I'm still maimed, so she succeeded," he said bitterly.

"Percy," Leo said firmly, a stern face on, "You need to stop putting up a barrier between yourself and life. Not everyone is out there to get you."

"It seems like it," Percy mumbled.

"But it's not, Percy!" Leo grabbed his shoulders, turning his body so that he faced him, "It's so much better than that! All that sorrow I know you keep inside of you is taking over your vision of the world! If everyone's out there to get you, why aren't I? Why am I in your walls and you can't let anyone else in? If I'm in, it's possible to trust people, Perce. You're happier when you're more at risk! That's life!"

"And you don't think I know that?" he asked quietly, "I tried, Leo. I really did. But I can't. The Fates didn't build me for life, they built me for suffering."

"No..." Leo shook his head, "No, they didn't, man. They built you for greatness. And without happiness, greatness means nothing. They built you to have a meaning. But the Fates didn't build a zombie. They built a person as great as you! You're a great person, Percy! And you need to live."

His words hit Percy in a spot he'd never been hit in before. So he turned to Leo.

"Can I have a blue cookie?"

Leo chuckled, taking out a bag.

"Sally sent some to the airport."

Percy took a bite of the delicious blue goodness and smiled.

"Leo," he said before his best friend was about to fall asleep.

"Yeah?" Leo asked, raising his head.

"I'll live, bro," Percy smirked.

He laughed.

"Good," he mumbled sleepily before he was out like a light.

So he took out his notebook and began to write. Percy wrote a song full of emotions he couldn't describe. He plugged in earbuds and began to hum to the beat of a virtual drum, thinking of Annabeth, Renee, and Jackie. Jackie was the most painful of them all. And he cried. He cried for the first time in what felt like forever. Because he'd never cried in front of anyone but Annabeth.

Annabeth...

Her name was like sweet symphony mixed with a sad, churning sea. The way her gray eyes used to sparkle when she looked at him, the way her pink, strawberry lips moved in sync with his... Percy shook his head sadly. He had hurt her. And he was hurting himself in the process.