Chapter 18 || Distantly Dividing

ANNABETH CHASE

Annabeth sat, waiting for Percy and Leo to sit down next to them. Instead, Percy avoided eye contact with her and moved to the jock table, where Renee was waiting. She smiled, grabbing Percy's face in her hands. Percy smiled back and they made love with their mouths, kissing in front of everyone. She stopped herself from gagging the whole way. When they finished, Percy put his arm around Renee and she kissed his cheek.

"Leo!" she hissed as Leo walked over.

"I'm sorry," Leo said, "I've gotta stick with my bro."

"I know... but... intel?" she asked.

Leo shook his head.

"He told me not to tell you," he said, "Can't break the bro code."

He waved and sat down next to Percy. Annabeth groaned, running a hand through her blonde princess curls.

"What happened?" Hazel asked, frowning.

"Renee found them while they were hanging out yesterday at the park."

Jason winced, glancing over to where Renee was making out with Percy.

"Ooh..."

"What's so bad about that?" Frank asked, taking a sip of apple juice.

"Some physical things went down... she pushed him in the lake... they were fighting all night..." Piper stuck out a finger for each point.

Frank's eyes widened and he stared at them.

"Jeez, Hazel... I hope that doesn't happen to us even when we're an old married couple together," he breathed and Hazel stared at him weirdly.

"Wait... what?" she asked, furrowing her brows.

Frank's eyes widened, staring at her.

"I... I didn't mean for that to slip out!" he covered his mouth.

"No," Hazel said, sitting closer to him, "Do you... Do you want that?"

Frank froze, staring at her. Piper grabbed Annabeth's arm, squeezing it in a signal as to what was about to happen.

"S-Sure!" Frank squeaked.

Hazel ignored his scared response and crashed her lips to his. Frank immediately relaxed, kissing back.

"Aww," Piper, Jason, and Annabeth gushed.

"Shut up," Hazel said, breaking the kiss before jumping right back in, running a hand through Frank's hair.

Just as they deepened the kiss, Mr. Blofis walked by.

"Guys!" she shoved their heads apart, "Don't get suspended."

They laughed, holding hands and eating their food. But Annabeth's eyes never left Percy's spot at his table. His eyes met hers for a second before they flashed and he winced, turning away, back to Renee's smiling face. He ate his food and Renee shot a smirk at Annabeth before kissing Percy's nose. Percy smiled at her before it disappeared quickly, continuing to eat his food.

PERCY JACKSON

Percy's whole body felt numb as he ate food, kissed Renee, and did what he did before. He reminded himself that this was for the better. Renee smiled up at him, kissing his nose. Percy met Annabeth's gray gaze before he reminded himself that he wasn't allowed to be associated with her. So he quickly looked away and kissed Renee. He could feel someone's gaze intensely on him.

When lunch was over, he leaned against his locker, feeling slightly dizzy. He couldn't feel anything in his body except for his beating heart, thumping against his chest.

"I promise," he heard Renee's voice as he opened his eyes slightly, "I promise after this little faze wears off, we'll be happy, Percy. You'll be laughing with me, you'll be kissing with me, and we'll be doing fine. We'll get through this rough bump, okay?"

He nodded slowly, not sure how to feel.

"Let's go to class now, okay?" Renee grabbed his arm and pulled him towards her.

His knees buckled slightly but he regained himself, walking with her to the stairs. Renee had kept him up all night last night. Percy didn't get to sleep before it was the next day and he literally felt like his flesh, skin, and life was just melting off his bones. He was a walking skeleton. As Percy sat down in math class, he put his face to his arms, which were sitting on the table, sleeping in less than a second.

"This isn't right, Percy!" Renee screamed, "You know you belong with me! We've loved each other for two years! A lot longer than Annabeth has been in your life! You know we've been happy those two years. I know we've been happy! You even said it yourself!"

"Renee, Annabeth isn't changing me! She's just my friend!" Percy yelled back.

"Look and what she's done to you!" Renee motioned to him, "You're fighting back! And before she came, we didn't even HAVE fights!"

"Well stop fighting against me, Renee! I'm not starting them!"

"Percy I love you!" Renee shouted, "What has she done for you? I'm willing to give my flesh and blood to you! And what are you doing? Giving that to the trash and taking some girl who doesn't give you shit! You know everything will just end up like it did with Jackie!"

At the mention of Jackie's name, his whole body froze, and he stared at her in hurt. Renee stopped shouting, staring at him.

"If you loved me back like I love you," Renee said, tears in her eyes, "You'd at least let me know I'm the only girl you love. Not like the cheater jocks. If you want to date me and if you love me, you'll stay away from her and we can go back to the way it was before. And you won't end up with another Jackie."

Percy reeled, staring at her. Renee looked at the clock. It was 4 AM and she had just finished. She stormed out of the penthouse and he just stared at the place she was, shocked. But Jackie's memories just hit him again like a wave and he simply stood there, staring at the floor in a daze. And pretty soon, he somehow got in my room, still staring at the ceiling. And he had no idea how he got there.

"Class dismissed!"

The shout jolted him awake and he grabbed his stuff, getting out of the classroom. He smirked. Mist manipulation really helped him.