Chapter 33 || Freeing Jackie

ANNABETH CHASE

Annabeth got on a plane immediately, her eyes set on New York. The moment she landed, she had no luggage, so she simply ran off the plane.

"TAXI!" she yelled as one pulled over.

Hopping in, it sped away.

"New York Prison!" Annabeth commanded and the driver nodded.

The moment she got there, she burst in. The lady looked surprised to see her again.

"Oh... who are you here for this time?"

"Jackie Thomas."

"Again?" she rolled her eyes, "After years of no visiting, you'd think Jackie'd have no visitors. But no. They all have to come running at once."

She quickly led Annabeth over to the booth. The familiar silky brown hair swishing behind her orange jumpsuit, she saw Jackie walk in. When Jackie saw her again, she looked confused.

"Why are you here again?" she asked.

"I want to ask you a question, Jackie. You stabbed Percy six years ago, am I right?"

"Yes..." she trailed off, looking confused, but also pained at the memory.

"Did you mean to kill him?"

"No, of course not!" Jackie exclaimed, "I just wanted to hurt him, not to murder him."

Annabeth grinned, a smile spreading from ear to ear.

"What?" Jackie said nervously, "WHAT?!"

"Your sentence is over, honey," she smirked.

"What do you mean?" Jackie stuttered.

"If you didn't try to kill Percy, that's not attempted murder. Attempted murder is lifetime prison, but if you didn't want to kill Percy, you're only supposed to get 5 years in prison for assault. All we need to do is prove that you didn't want to kill him."

"How do you think I'm supposed to do that? Just go up and say, 'hey, after six long years in prison, I want to finally tell you I never meant to try to murder him'?"

"No, no, no, I know how! Did Percy try to move when you stabbed him?" she asked.

Jackie flinched, but answered.

"No... I guess he was more in shock from what I... did to him," she said, flinching again.

"Alright. From personal experience I've learned that if you have live bait out there that's not moving, the main killer area to stab is the chest, which would be near impossible to fix if it had skewered the heart. Therefore, we have evidence that you weren't trying to kill Percy, only to maim him, as fixing a wound in the midsection isn't hard. So, we can bring this to court, and you can be freed."

"But if you stab a stomach, it can still kill," Jackie protested.

"Which is why, I can go to the hospital right now and check Percy's medical files. If they tell us that the wound was too deep, which I doubt, it would be considered too deep for just an assault. But if it was a shallow stab wound, you'd be free, as it wouldn't have a chance of killing him other than if it had an infection."

Jackie stared at Annabeth for a long second.

"What are you... a lawyer?"

"No, but I did study law with my dad when I was younger. That's how I remember, also I did some law in high school. But... we need to find a lawyer to break you out."

"Why don't you just break me out?" she asked and Annabeth whipped around, startled.

"I've seen you when you're talking to the guards to let us have one more minute. It's like there's this little shimmering thing in front of their eyes and all of a sudden, after you speak, they just let us have it."

"You... you can see through mist?"

"What mist? All I know is that somehow, you have some sort of hypnotizing thing and it makes the guards do whatever you say, so do it to the judge, create fake papers for yourself that you can hypnotize people into doing, and bam!" Jackie shrugged.

Annabeth nodded slowly, debating whether she should tell Jackie she was a clearsighted mortal or not. She decided it wasn't necessary, grabbing her stuff.

"I'll bad back to tell you more stuff!" she promised, rushing out, "KEEP JACKIE THERE I'M COMING BACK!"

The lady looked up, startled, as Annabeth rushed to the hospital.

"Hi," she said, rushing into the hospital. "Do you know by any chance how I could get a look at Percy Jackson's medical files?"

"State your relation to him?"

"I am one of his friends, his ex-girlfriend, and we still talk today, but I need to get a look at his medical record because... I heard he has something he's allergic to so I need to check."

The nurse raised her eyebrow, but shrugged, leading Annabeth towards the medical files.

"Just get Percy's, check it, and get right out."

She nodded, running in, fumbling through the files, which were organized by the alphabet, to Annabeth's advantage.

Name: Perseus Achilles Jackson Age: 17 Location: Manhattan, New York, USA

Annabeth scrolled down before she reached his medical record. Scanning down, she reached the stab that Jackie had done.

Came into the ER with a knife stabbed in his midsection. Stab went 1.25 inches deep, not fatal, however, did cause him much pain throughout a week of resting here at the hospital. Punctured a lung, however, did no harm to any vital organs that were there. Wound was merely painful, not deadly. Status: Cured.

She took a picture, putting the documents back, and took another taxi over to the prison.

"Jackie!" Annabeth panted when she saw her waiting, "It's true! Your stab only went 1.25 inches in, which isn't enough to be considered very fatal. Also, the prison kept your old phone, which I asked for, and I found 911 on speed dial. Jackie, you were about to dial 911, right?"

"I said that in my trial, but no one believed me," she mumbled.

"Because you didn't have your phone on you," Annabeth declared, "Now that we have access to your old phone, which has 911 on speed dial, we have proof for that, and that you weren't trying to kill him, only maim him."

"And I found some great lawyer?" Jackie scoffed, "Even a college student does better!"

Annabeth smirked.

"Say goodbye to jail, Jackie. Then, we're going off to Europe to get that seaweed brain some common sense!"