Chapter 51 || Explanations

ANNABETH CHASE

Annabeth sat on the floor outside the room that was considered to be Percy's interview site. NBC news. Great. Then, the rush of reality managed to hit her like a brick to the stomach.

She wasn't in college anymore.

Annabeth had graduated from Harvard University and was now a licensed architect. No more textbooks to read. No more nights of studying until her brain hurt. No more separation from her friends and family. But that wasn't important because Percy came out a few moments later, looking slightly annoyed.

"What happened in there, Seaweed Brain?" she asked, frowning.

"Nothing," he mumbled before they got in the car.

"You have to tell me eventually," she said as Percy drove, "And are you sure you're okay to drive?"

"Annabeth, it's been a week since we came back from... there." Percy shivered. "I didn't have injuries on my arm, and even if my head still hurts, I can see well enough to know when to turn and to see colors."

Annabeth wanted to protest, but Percy cut her off before she could even open her mouth to speak.

"And before you tell me my stomach wound could affect us, that's not really likely because I haven't touched that area of my body in a week and even if it's still pretty bandaged up, I don't use it while I'm driving."

There. Annabeth had nothing else to say.

"Seaweed Brain, you know you can tell me exactly what happened, right?" she finally asked, "You can trust me."

Percy turned to her and Annabeth had the time to truly marvel what was in those sea-green orbs. Even if Percy's eyes had a bit of brokenness to them, there was a happier tone of the sea in his irises. They were brighter, happier, and they glimmered with mirth. He smiled more. He laughed more. He genuinely had fun.

So Annabeth let out a large sigh, knowing that she had succeeded. Even if they were broken, a broken person knows how to look past the brokenness in someone else's eyes.

"Wise Girl?" Percy frowned, waving a hand in front of her face.

"Huh?" she blinked several times.

"You were too busy staring at me while drool dripped out of your mouth that you didn't hear my question."

"What was it?" Annabeth asked, wiping her mouth in search for any drool.

"What would you do if I told you what happened?"

"Nothing. I mean, I can't go onto NBC news to kill the interviewer, can I?" She chuckled, giving Percy a pout.

"Fine," Percy sighed, "They started asking me about how I survived, and I had already came up with a fib. I said that I had managed to climb on a canoe with all my friends and we got washed into the ocean, where we had to survive for a while before we got rescued by some sailers, which we didn't get to know before they left."

"That's actually a good story," Annabeth commented, "What else happened?"

"That part was fine. I was expecting it. But then, they asked me... about you."

Annabeth froze, staring at Percy.

"They asked me if I was dating anyone at first, then they addressed the breakup with Renee, then they addressed a picture the paparazzi took of both of us walking out in the streets. Then, they asked me who you were and if I was dating you."

"H-How did you respond?" Annabeth asked, scared.

"Well, first of all, there are plenty of Percy and Renee shippers out there, but... they also wanted to ship me with Kendall Jenner."

"That's insane!" Annabeth exploded, ignoring the sharp pain in her shoulder, "Kendall Jenner may be your age, but she... she can't date you!"

"Here's the thing," Percy sighed, looking very annoyed, "It'd be easier if I didn't know Kendall. But I do through our jobs. That's why people think we're secretly dating. I just hope she does well with the press."

A twinge of jealousy hit Annabeth like a flood.

"She's not even that pretty!" she found herself saying before covering her mouth.

Percy turned, surprised.

"What?"

"N-Nothing," Annabeth said quickly.

"So when I said that I wasn't going to reveal who you were and I said that we weren't dating, the interviewer literally told everyone that I was dating Kendall Jenner. Apparently, she had her team photoshop me and her together in the streets of New York."

"What?!"

"I tried to stop her, but she had already ended the show by that time."

"That's insane! How does no one think it's photoshopped?"

"Maybe they know. But people just love drama, don't they?"

Annabeth couldn't help but feel envy twist up in her abdomen. Why Kendall? Why a person who was known for being a model? Percy groaned, slamming his hands down on the wheel when they reached the parking lot.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay," Annabeth quickly tried to comfort Percy, who smiled at her willingness to help.

"I'm having a meeting with my manager and some of the people on my team. So... we'll figure it out," Percy sighed, getting out of the car.

He wasn't crutching anymore, he just had a large, bulky boot. Annabeth followed him into the penthouse, sitting down on the couch. She pulled out her laptop and gasped in glee when she saw the email.

"What happened?" Percy asked, turning around from the kitchen to look at the happy daughter of Athena.

"Job interview," she replied, "I'll be working as an architect soon!"

"Congrats!" Percy grinned, leaning on the counter.

The ringing of his phone sounded and he groaned.

"What?" Annabeth frowned.

"It's Mack. From the recording studio."

"Oh," Annabeth stared at her boyfriend's reaction, "Can I go with you?"

Panic sparked across Percy's face.

"Uhm..."

"Percy, there's nothing else for me to do today, and I really wanna go."

Percy pondered this as Annabeth waited in silence, praying to the gods that he'd let her go with him.

"Fine," he sighed, "Just... wait in the waiting room, okay?"

"Got it," Annabeth nodded, opening the door as Percy got in the car with her, driving over to the studio.