chapter 13

No one's point of view

Despite the love the detective has for her job, getting up at the ass crack of dawn to solve a case has never and will never be something that she’ll get used to.

“I’ll never understand why people deem it necessary to hit, let alone kill a child” detective Garza says as he takes a look at the body of a young boy laying in the middle of an abandoned building, “I mean come on, it’s a kid” he says, turning to look at a nauseated Chris.

Murder has never sit well with her, the killing of a child on the other hand just leaves her feeling some type of way, not a good kind of way either.

“He didn’t even get the chance to enjoy his life” she says as she looks at the corpse of the unidentified dead boy.

His body covered in bruises and numerous cuts. His protruding ribs evidence that he was not well fed. A gaping bullet hole sitting right in the middle of his forehead. His brown skin turning pale from the blood loss

“what do we know about him?” Chris asks as she turns away from the disturbing dead body, another aspect of life and her job that she will never get used to.

“Denise Johnson. 7 year old. Was found this morning by wondering crack heads. Went missing 3 weeks ago. Parents didn’t file for a missing person because they thought he was being, and I quote ‘an attention seeking, ungrateful son of a... Haha, I can’t even” David says with a sarcastic laugh as he drops the file which he was reading from due to the anger boiling within him. “some people just don’t deserve to be parents” he continues before wincing and glancing guiltily at his partner slash best friend.

“Unfortunately!” she bluntly answers as she watches the forensics team put the body in a body bag. “Where are the parents?” she asks as she turns to walk out of the abandoned building, David having to pick up his pace due to how fast she is walking.

“I know what you’re thinking Ris but this is not a-

“Where the fuck are the parents?” she turns to face him as she asks, forcing him to stop in his tracks and the reprimanding sentence to die in his throat.

“They’re home. Selena went over to tell them the news and they were talking shit and said that they didn’t care and that...wait Ris come on don’t do this” he says, following Chris as she heads for her car in a rush. “It’s not worth it”.

“It’s worth it when an innocent soul is involved” she says in anger as she unlocks her car and furiously takes her place behind the wheel.

“We should be finding the people responsible for his death, not his crazy parents” David says as he takes the passenger seat and closes the door.

“They’re as responsible for his death as the person who killed him. Plus, how do we know that they’re not the killers huh?” she asks as she turns to face him, the look on her face not sitting well with him. She wasn’t angry, she was livid.

“Your anger is misplaced. I’m just as disturbed by this as you are but I’m not going to put my job in jeopardy just because I am angry” David says, raising his voice slightly to get his point across before calmly speaking “I know that this is a little bit personal for you Ris, but think about it.”

Silence fills the car, causing an awkward atmosphere between the two. Heavy breathing can be heard in the car, signifying just how quiet they both are until Chris breaks the silence with a question.

“Are you in or out?” She asks as she dangles the car key on her index finger, right eye brow cocked and a killer smirk.

David huffs loudly, puts on his seat belt and slumps himself on the seat like a child throwing a tantrum “No puedo creer que esté haciendo esto.” (I can’t believe that you are doing this) He mumbles under his breath in Spanish, knowing that she can’t understand him. “but if this goes to shit I’m not talking to you later”.