chapter 24

Chris’s point of view

“You’re stalling and you know it” David says from the passenger seat as he looks at me with a bored look on his face.

He’s right. We’ve been seated in the car for the past hour and a half. Yes, an hour and a half. Only because I’m too chicken to go talk to her...to go talk to Elizabeth.

“I’m not stalling...I’m just... trying to gather my thoughts” I say to him, gripping the steering wheel so hard that my knuckles turn pale.

“Gather your thoughts about what? Start the fucken car and drive to her place now. We’ve been sitting outside your place for way too long. My butt cheeks are numb” he says as he places his hands under his ass.

What a child.

“What am I supposed to say to her man?” I question him and throw my hands up in frustration.

“Oh I don’t know, what about a ‘I’m sorry for being such a jerk?” he replies sarcastically.

His response doesn’t help my already stressed out self.

I sigh in frustration at his unhelpful response and bang my head against the steering wheel repeatedly.

“Bitch don’t kill yourself yet” David says as he grabs hold of my head. He forcefully pushes my head against the headrest and leaves his palm on my forehead so that I don’t move “Listen Ris, this is your life you’re messing with. You’re not only giving up on her but on yourself too. I know you and I know just how much you love her so please stop hurting the both of you by being your usual stubborn self. She’s not a suspect that you have to interrogate anymore so now it’s time to ease up” he says, slowly removing his hand from my forehead and placing it back on his lap.

“Plus, I actually want to be here when you guys get together” he continues.

“Are you leaving or something?” I ask, surprised at his statement.

“We’re not always going to be here Ris” he answers in a weird tone.

Hmmm, how cheery.

I sigh dejectedly at his honesty, although I can’t help but feel that there’s more to his statement.

“Look, it will literally only take us forty minutes to get to her place, so we better start going now so that we don’t get there when they’re eating or something” he states.

I look at him as though he’s lost his mind.

“We?” I ask him.

There’s no way that I’m going to go to her house with him. I didn’t even call him here, he just chose to come and bother me out of his own free will.

“Yes We, I didn’t come to your place on your day off just to let you go talk to her on your own. Plus, I know for sure that you were not going to go to her if I didn’t coerce you to” he says truthfully.

I definitely wouldn’t. I’m way too chicken to fix my relationship... relationship.

Shit. I never even made it official.

“Fuck” I groan out.

“What? What is it Ris?” David asks, surprised at my sudden outburst.

“I never made anything official between us because I thought that we both weren’t ready. Now I’m starting to realize that maybe I was the one who wasn’t ready” I say in a meek voice.

I’m greeted by an open mouthed, dumb faced David when I turn my head to face him.

He blinks dumbly a few times before he closes his mouth and turns to face the front.