chapter 29

It’s been seven days. Seven days since I last heard her voice. Seven days since I last saw her face. Seven days since I last said her name or anything else for that matter.

Watching her bleed out right in front of me was more than enough to ruin me for the future but knowing that she’s in a coma for the past seven days... that just killed me.

I did that to her. I got her shot not once but twice. The bullet proof vest that she had on protected her shoulder but unfortunately they don’t protect your neck.

The Phobes are dead, Miles is dead, Damien on the other hand...he wishes that he was dead.

David did as promised. Shot him in both kneecaps and shoulders, but he didn’t stop there. As of right now Damien’s being held in an underground cellar which belongs to Dad.

The cops did ask questions as to what happened and for a second I thought that we were all going to jail but there are perks to being a detective I guess.

Turns out that the Phobes have been under investigation for a while now and David was collecting info on them. Miles’ involvement was a surprise to everyone.

The story behind the shooting was altered. David obviously didn’t tell them that he was involved in Michael’s murder but the story about me being involved...that didn’t change.

So basically, Linda was angry that she had nothing to tie me to the murder and was even more upset that the DA’s office decided to take over the case and that’s why she wanted me dead. Chris’s involvement was pure fate as she happened to be there when we were ambushed by the Phobes and Miles. Miles killed the Phobes and that can be proven by the bullets found in both their skulls. Miles shot Chris before David shot him. Basically, we were just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

This life of crime is definitely not something I want to experience forever, especially when the people I love are getting hurt because of me.

The fact that I’m in the clear hasn’t really settled in as I’m more worried about the woman that is laying on a hospital bed with a bullet wound on her neck. A woman who I’ve refused to see for seven days.

“You’re going to drive yourself crazy if you stay here one more day” David says as he walks through the door of the guestroom I’m occupying with Sandra.

Despite how he’s trying to act all tough and macho, I can see just how much this situation is affecting him. I almost forgot that they were close to each other...best friends.

“You need to go see her” he says as he takes a seat on the bed.

“You haven’t gone to see her either” I point out.

Ever since we got the news, neither one of us has been able to face her. Almost as if we feel guilty. It doesn’t help that the Brooks had shed so much tears that day.

I’ve never seen Emily so broken. Joseph looked about ready to kill someone and Emmanuel... Emmanuel looked dead.

Knowing that I’m responsible for the pain that they’re experiencing is what’s making it so easy for me to not go there and see her.

Of course I’m dying to see her. I’m dying to hold her in my arms, kiss her and tell her exactly how I feel. Why did it take me so long to tell her? Why did I keep it to myself? Why was I so scared?

“I have my reasons” he answers after a moment of silence.

Yeah well, I have my reasons too. I can’t face her family after what I did to their daughter, sister.

“It’s not your fault you know. She would’ve done anything and everything to keep you safe. One thing about Ris is that she always keeps her promise, no matter how long it takes her to fulfil them” he says, a small smile gracing his face.