chapter 6

Third person's point of view

The car ride couldn't have been anymore awkward. The only sound that could be heard were the songs from the radio. Even that was not enough to get rid of the tension that was lurking.

"So where to, hotel, friends place or...?" finally something to get rid of the ridiculous tension

"Uh I think you can just drop me at the nearest Café, I need my coffee" 

'Way to go, now she'll definitely know that something is up', thought Elizabeth.

'Weird', thought Chris.

"I don't think that's a good idea. You need as much sleep as you can get. Do you even have money to pay for your coffee? Because I haven't seen your wallet or purse or anything like that, plus you said you don't have money to hail a cap." That question had been plaguing her mind since before she offered to give her a ride.

'Just come clean', Elizabeth thought, 'the jig is up'.

"Okay here's the deal" Here we go, just tell the truth "I like to keep my wallet in my underwear" you, stupid moron "For safe keeping, I mean no one is going to look in my underwear if they are robbing me or anything like that." 

'To much honesty, but we both females here.. lord have mercy.'

'I really hope she falls for that, or else I'm dead', thought Elizabeth.

'How dumb do I look, wow, I feel so insulted that she thought I would fall for that. I'm a detective for crying out loud.' Thought Chris.

"Well, that is very stupid, you could get raped and what happens when they find the wallet in your underwear huh? They could kill you for deceiving them or at least trying to deceive them." Hit her with the hard wisdom Chris. Patting herself on the back in her head, Chris decided to spare Elizabeth a glance and Satan was that a bad idea because if telepathy did exist she wouldn't have been in the driver's seat... it suddenly got hot and she decided to turn on the AC.

Elizabeth's point of view

Ugh. I hate it when she goes all wise on me. I better just come clean, this is getting tiring

"Okay I don't have money with me and I've got nowhere to go, happy?"

"Delighted actually. Now was that so hard?" How I would love to slap that smirk of her face.

"I guess you could stay with me tonight, then later we could go get your belongings since you can't go back unsupervised, what you think?" I think you have officially lost your damn mi...

"Yeah sure, why not?" I'm way too tired to keep arguing with her, I just hope I take the bed and not the couch. Wishful thinking.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

"And voila" wow, her penthouse isn't actually as bad as I thought. I was expecting more of a standoffish type of place. This is kind of homey.

"Not bad... I mean it's good" The look on her face is hard to decipher, I can't tell if she is hurt or upset.

"Well, let me show you to your room." Leading me upstairs I notice that there are four doors, I wonder how she survives on her own in such a big place. I never liked being alone in Michael's house. It was way too lonely.

"This is one of the guestrooms. You can get some rest and once you wake up we will leave because after you get your belongings I need to report back as to where you are staying"

"Basically, keeping tabs on me?" I feel like a criminal

"Yes, but you won't even notice. We will be as stealth as possible" I am pretty much sure she's not supposed to tell me that, but thanks for the heads up.

"Well, I'll leave you to rest, see you tomorrow, Elizabeth Andrews" The way she says my name. it's as if she's reciting a prayer and honestly it does weird things to my body. I don't want her to say it like that yet at the same time I don't want her to stop. 

"Oh Detective?" 

"Yes?" she pears her head back in the guest room.

"My clothes. I don't have anything to sleep in." Her face lit up as if she forgot. 

"Okay, I'll be right back." she leaves the room for a while and brings back just an over sized white T-shirt.

'So I will just be sleeping just in that and my underwear? What is going through this lady's head? but let me just keep quiet.'

"Thanks, yeah i am pretty dirty so..." 

"Your welcome." she gives me the t-shirt, and as I wait for her to release we just stare at each other.

"Uhm..." I break the silence

"Oh sorry." she gives me the t-shirt and our hands made slight connect, releasing a breath that i was keeping in.

"Goodnight, Detective Brooks" Oh my Gosh, I just purred. I hope she didn't hear that. Judging by the open mouth and wide eyes I believe she did. Kill me now.

Slamming the door in her face I run to the bed and lay face first. I would have screamed but I'm pretty sure she's still standing there. Damn.

Turning to face the ceiling, I replay all the events of yesterday and today. My husband was just murdered and I just happen to be the prime suspect. I spent five hours in an interrogation room repeating the same shit over and over again and last but definitely not least, I am sleeping in the house of that Detective who I'm pretty sure I have a crush on.And i am sleeping in her shirt. 

Before my body decides to dose off I get up and undress and throw my clothes in the corner. i throw the shirt over my head and before pulling it down I see how hard my nipples are, did she do that to me? 

On that last thought, gift of life called sleep decided to take over my body and I was taken into a dreamless sleep.

Chris's point of view

Elizabeth Andrews is in my house. Elizabeth Andrews is sleeping in one of my guestrooms. And fuck my soul she is sleeping in my t-shirt. Her nipples sliding up and down the fabric as her chest rising and descends, what the fuck am I thinking right now? The events of the past three hours keep replaying in my head and the most frequent one is the way she purred when she said my name. I don't know if I imagined it but I hope not. I want it to be real yet at the same time not. 

Her soft skin when she touch my hand.

You're losing focus here Chris. She's a distraction that you don't need in your life

Aw, Chris is in love, joyous day

Shut up, she can't be in love. That girl's a distraction that she doesn't need. Get rid of her now

With a mind full of nothing but Elizabeth's beautiful face I remove my work clothes, still in a not so orderly manner and lay on the bed. Turning to my side I realize I forgot my phone in my pants. Groaning, I get up and take it only to jump back on my bed like a little kid. I couldn't help it. Sue me.

Switching on my phone, I realize that I have messages. Mainly from Emmanuel. I wonder what he wants. I'll deal with him tomorrow. Scrolling I realize I have more messages. They'll have to miss me for now, I'm going to sleep. Switching off my phone I drop it on my night table, turn on my side again and close my eyes. What finally puts me to sleep is the face of the woman sleeping next door. The face of Elizabeth Andrews.