chapter 17

Elizabeth's point of view

Just another day to wake up again, another day to do chores and another day to watch TV.

But wait, today isn’t just another day. Nope. Today is my damn birthday. I finally turn twenty one.

Which probably brings questions of how I got into clubs and stuff and the answer is that I didn’t because I never went to clubs or parties because of my asshole late husband.

That man took away the freedom that I never had. Treated me the same way if not much worse than my parents did.

Enough of the negative talk, apparently today is going to be long.

Chris and Sandra have been plotting something for my birthday which should have been a surprise but my curious and stubborn self just had to be sure that they really were plotting something so I went through Sandra’s phone and luckily for me I know her password so yeah...it’s no surprise anymore.

“For the birthday girl” Sandra says as she places a plate filled to the brim with Eggs, bacon, hash browns and two sausages with a glass of orange juice.

“Are you try to fatten me up or something?” I ask jokingly, as I grab a fork and dig in. Moaning at the delicious flavours that hit my taste buds.

“Well, you do need to gain a couple pounds girl. I mean I love you but nope, I can’t be scared to hug you all the time” she says as she takes her seat and digs into her own food.

“I’m not that skinny” I say, offended by her words.

I’m not as small as they make it seem. I mean I know that I’m probably underweight for a twenty one year old but them, her and Chris pointing it out is starting to get on my nerves.

“Look girl, I’m not trying to be mean here and stuff, I’m just saying that now that you’re out of that disastrous relationship I think it’s time that you take care of yourself better” she says, being mindful with her words as she sees my teary eyes “He’s gone now, for good so it’s time for you to eat as you want, go out as much as you like and have as much sex as necessary” she says, her last comment making me laugh as hard as I can.

I really don’t know what I’d do without her. She is and will always be my rock. I pray that she doesn’t leave my life any time soon.

“Now eat up because I’ve got you for the next eight hours before...” She pauses, realising her mistake “before you have to sleep, you know the more sleep you get the faster you grow and shit” she says, trying to stop the conversation as she stuffs her mouth with food, unbeknownst to her that I already know of their plans.

“Hmm” I say, as I go back to eating my delicious food and try not to think of the day ahead.

*****

“Girl, I’m doing all the shopping here and it’s not even my birthday” Sandra whines as she holds up the ten shopping bags in her hands to prove her point.

“I’m sorry, it’s just that I don’t see anything that I need right now” I say to her. Seriously though, I have everything I need at the moment except for snacks... those are vital to my survival.

“Bitch, no one goes shopping because they need to. The fuck are you saying?” she says with an incredulous face, as though I’m being irrational.

I roll my eyes at her dramatic self, I’ve never met anyone more dramatic than her. Seriously, it’s just shopping, but let me not say that out loud before she makes me fat on purpose.

“We are getting you a nice dress though” she says as we pass a restaurant at the mall. The smell of food driving me crazy as it’s been five hours since I last ate.