Chapter Fourteen

"Back to my room?" She watched as the elevator doors opened before watching as he stepped out of the elevator.

He held the elevator doors open, waiting for his daughter to step out.

She folded her arms as she leant back on the back wall of the elevator.

"For someone that says I'm back in her head, she sure acts like I'm not."

Charlie wasn't sure how to respond to that. She felt like if she defied his rules than she'd be able to keep him from being in her mind but the more she did, the more he held power over her.

All because of one simple word. Charlie felt like she was torn at the seams when he used one simple word against her. Charlotte.

"Now out."

Charlie reluctantly pushed herself off the elevator wall before stepping out "Happy?"

He pushed his daughter forward as he stepped out of the elevator doors way, letting the doors finally shut.

"Straight to the end."

Charlie kept her arms crossed as she allowed herself to follow his order, straight to the end of the hallway. She stopped at an emergency door.

He pushed the door open.

She turned her head to him. She could feel the breeze of outside hit her skin.

"Out."

Charlie looked outside as she nervously took her first step out onto the rooftop. She listened to the door close behind her, she rushed to the edge before looking down, seeing only dead bushes and fallen tree branches.

He walked up behind her.

"They'd never find my body." She thought out loud.

He stopped next to her.

She side eye glanced him "Let nature take me." She positioned herself to sit on the edge of the ledge, her legs dangle on either side of the building.

He watched her; they both knew she wouldn't jump.

"The last time I was on top of a building, I was hanging by the tips of my fingers." She unfolded her arms and looked down at her hands "begging for my life. Begging for mercy. Begging for someone to kill you."

"You were only two floors up, you landed on your feet."

"Not the point. I was six."

"I'm not the enemy."

"And I'm supposed to be? How can I be the enemy when I was the trainee! I was your child! I was your daughter! I was barely four when you taught me how to swing a knife across my teddies throat!"

"Beary Bear had it coming."

"You really are a heartless bastard."

"If I was so heartless than I wouldn't have found you."

"And I'm supposed to be thankful?" Charlie swung her other leg over the side of the building. Her hands placed on the side of her upper thighs as she held onto the edge of the ledge. She looked down at the ground, she took a deep breath.

Charlie pushed her feet up against the wall of the hospital exterior wall. She took a deep breath; she pushed her weight forward.

He wrapped his arms around Charlie's upper body, pulling her from the edge before her body had a chance to fall from the edge, bringing her a step away from the ledge.

"Guess I am your weakness." Charlie laughed slightly.

"Don't scare me again." He held her tight in his arms.