Chapter Sixteen

The bedsheet she was using as a blanket over hanged from the end of the bed, Charlie was laying in. She stretched out her legs forcing the bedsheet to fall to the ground.

She rolled onto her side; Charlie noticed no fresh clothes laid on the floor by the door.

Charlie shifted her legs over the edge of the bed as she sat up, she glanced at the window. It was day, she wished she had something other than the struggling sky breaking into her room to tell her the time.

She pushed herself off her bed, she took a step towards the door.

Charlie noticed it wasn't closed properly, she gently pulled it open and took a step out of the room. She didn't wait or look down the hallway as she began to walk down the hallway.

She noticed the kitchen door wide open as she dragged her feet against the carpet, she noticed the dining room door open as she kept going.

Charlie continued down the hallway, she noticed the bathroom door open.

Fresh set of clothes sat on the bathroom sink with the toiletries bag sitting on top.

She stepped into the bathroom, she unzipped the toiletries bag and rummaged for the key before sliding it into her bra.

Charlie stepped back out of the bathroom, she looked down at the ground.

It was still covered in a trail of blood droplets.

She allowed herself to continue down the hallway, she noticed her father's door open.

Charlie stopped in front of the elevator that she had found on the level. She looked down at the arrows on the wall.

Did she want to go up or down? Did she want to find a way to escape? Did she want to stay?

Charlie started to feel like she owed her father, she felt like she shouldn't escape. She felt like she had found the only other person who understood her.

She pressed the down button, the elevator doors open, and Charlie stepped inside. She stared at the numbers on the side.

Charlie chewed down on her lower lip as she reached her right hand forward, she used her middle finger to press G.

The doors closed and the elevator travelled down.

Charlie stood close to the doors as she listened to the elevator travel down. She watched as the doors opened.

She noticed it was wide open, no rooms with doors closed, no chairs, there was two signs: one saying Entrance and another saying NOTICE All activities are monitored by video camera with an image of a surveillance camera on the sign.

Charlie stepped out of the elevator, she looked up at the edge of the walls trying to find any surveillance cameras. She couldn't see any as she walked towards the front entrance doors.

Charlie stopped in front of the doors; she could see the entrance doors lead out to an empty ambulance bay. She peered behind her, feeling like she was being watched.

She turned around as her guard went up.

There was no one behind her, there was no one. Just her.

Charlie took a step forward, away from the front entrance. She followed the hallway past the elevator, she noticed a closed reception desk sitting in the middle of the hallway.

She took a step into the reception desk; she began to pull open draws.

Food wrappers, broken pencils and scrunched up papers lined each of the four draws.