Chapter Thirty - Four

Her eyes fluttered open, she felt too scared to move as she realised, she was lying in a hospital bed, she noticed she was connected to an IV drip, she heard the beeping of the heart monitor as her eyes wondered around the room.

Charlie noticed the sun rising through the window, she smiled a little as she realised how different the hospital room, she was staying in was nothing like the one she had spent time in.

She noticed her father uncomfortably positioned on the chair with his jacket draped over himself as he slept.

Charlie wasn't sure what to think anymore. She wasn't sure if she should scream at him for the pain he inflicted or just let his sorry fill her mind, she wasn't sure if she wanted to reconnect with the man who had put her through hell or just cut all ties with him.

Her thoughts were interrupted as a nurse opened the door.

"Oh, your awake." The nurse picked up Charlie's chart before making a note.

"How long have I been out for?" Charlie turned her attention to the nurse at the end of her bed.

"Four days." The nurse looked up from the chart "He hasn't left your side." She looked over at Charlie's father.

Charlie glanced over at her dad, she struggled to hate him as she let her gaze linger over him.

"There's two officers who would like to talk to you about your injuries." The nurse stated.

Charlie chewed down on her lower lip as she returned her gaze to the nurse "Do I have to talk to them?"

"That's completely up to you."

Charlie knew she had a conflicting choice to make, if she talked about her injuries than she'd have to give up her dad but if she didn't than her dad could potentially come back and repeat their time together.

"I'll let you rest for now." The nurse admitted "I'll get some food brought around for you."

Charlie nodded slightly "Thank you." She watched as the nurse left the room and closed the door behind her. "She's gone now." She carefully adjusted her position in her bed.

Her father gave himself a stretch as he opened his eyes "Should've asked for a bed." He joked about his uncomfortable rest in the chair. "You had me worried." He admitted.

Charlie rolled her eyes "You worried?"

They listened to the heartbeat monitor pick up its beating.

"Charlotte, please."

Charlie took a deep breath before slowly exhaling trying to calm herself down.

"How are you feeling?" He stood up than chucked his jacket on the chair.

Charlie shrugged a little "Why are you still here?"

"I wanted to make sure that my daughter is fine." He calmly spoke "Can't I do that?"

"After everything you've done!?" She hushed her frustrations.

"I did it for you, for us."

Charlie went to open her mouth to speak as a knock on the door interrupted her words.

The door was pushed open, the nurse carried in a small tray for Charlie and placed it on the overbed table.

"Thank you" Charlie spoke.

"Welcome, sweetheart." The nurse spoke before walking out of the room, closing the door behind her.

Charlie looked at the tray, the heartbeat monitor picked up her racing heartbeats as Charlie reached for the lid. Her emotions went into overdrive as she placed her hand on the lid of the food tray, she nervously took off the lid before calming herself down as she noticed the hospital food.

On the plate sat a small triangle cut meat and cheese sandwich, with a small tub of jelly and small plate of cut up fruit.

He sat down on the edge of Charlie's bed, he watched as she didn't hesitate to eat.

Her body took in the food, savouring every bite, letting each swallow soak into her body.

For the rest of the day, they didn't speak any words to each other.