Chapter Twenty-Three

Charlie closed the door behind her as she tried to wash her pride away. She tucked the key into the back of her shorts pocket. She began to wonder towards the elevator, she barely had a chance to press the up button when the doors open.

"You like to follow." She spoke as she stepped into the elevator.

"I like to make sure my daughter is safe."

"How much safer can I be while in a hospital?" She turned her attention to him as he pressed number six.

"Why'd you come down to this level?"

"You're getting slow at following me." Charlie refused to answer his question.

He turned his attention to his daughter "No, I'm just giving you space."

Charlie raised an eyebrow in confusion "Is that what we're calling it?"

He turned his attention to the doors as they opened.

"Does anyone else live here?" Charlie pushed herself off the wall of the elevator before casually stepping out of the elevator.

He stepped outside the elevator; he was now curious.

"I could do with a friend." Charlie bounced on the balls of her feet as she gently swayed her arms by her side.

He took notice of Charlie's physical movements "I'll see if I can find a friend or few."

Charlie found excitement in his words as she turned her back on him, she happily skipped down the hallway.

"Charlotte?" He called out as he followed her.

"Yes, father."

He loved when his daughter called him Dad and Father, it was all he ever wanted when he tracked her down.

Charlie stopped, she twirled on the balls of her feet to face her father.

"Sixth door on your right."

Charlie nodded as she turned her attention down the hallway. She crisscrossed her right hand as she pointed her index finger to count the doors. She stopped in front of the closed door.

He took his time walking up the hallway "You have a key."

Charlie slipped her hand into the back pocket of her pants before pulling out the key, she put it into the lock of the door. Charlie pushed open the door.

"Macy" Charlie spoke in a high pitched tone.

Macy stood in the centre of the room, waiting for what's to happen next. The palms of her hands faced forward by her side.

He stopped next to his daughter.

Charlie turned her attention to him "We can't kill Macy, she's too nice."

"I thought you wanted a friend."

Charlie nodded slightly as she stepped into the room, she turned her attention to her dad before raising her right hand as she placed her left hand on the door, she waved bye to her father as she closed the door.

Charlie turned to face Macy.

Macy stayed calm.

Charlie's eyes scanned the room.

Black curtains covered the windows, the light flickered as it struggled to stay on, there was nothing in the room to be used against either of the woman.

Charlie raised her hands to Macy, showing Macy there was nothing in Charlie's hands besides the key.

Macy raised her left hand up, she curled her fingers as she raised her index finger to her lips.

Charlie smiled a little.

Macy cautiously turned her back on Charlie, Macy took a step to the curtains.

Charlie didn't move from the door, she watched as Macy knelt down on her knees.

Macy slowly slide her hands under the hem of the curtain touching the floor, she slide out a small container and pushed it hard, forcing it to slide towards Charlie.

Charlie looked down at the small black box, she reached down to pick it up before opening the lid. She looked down inside the box before looking up at Macy.

"His watching. The game you play. The mind you have. Keep it alive. Burn." Macy whispered as she reached her hand blindly under the curtain, she slide out a sharp knife.

Charlie's face dropped.

Macy gave out a high pitched scream as she stabbed herself in the centre of her chest.

Charlie quickly shut the lid of the small box before shoving it into the back of her pants, she took a step away from the door as it was pushed open. She turned her back on Macy's bleeding body.

He looked down at Macy, seeing Macy's hand on the handle of the knife before looking up at his daughter "I see your friend is hurt."

Charlie casually shrugged.

"Would you like to give her some time to rest?"

Charlie nodded her head "Macy is incredibly tired." She carefully skipped out of the room. She hoped the small black box wouldn't be obvious for her father to notice.