Chapter 6

Ada's POV

A week passed. Im stressed and tired. My Mom is already here. She's in the house taking some rest. Aunt Lizzie told me she's going home by Tuesday, we fetch her at the airport. The ride is awkward, thankfully I have a book to read. I skip class so I could see her, surprisingly she hugs me. I hug her back but it's odd. She didn't hug me before. After we get her in the house, I informed them that I'm going to school since I have a quiz and do the cotillion with Paul.

"Are you going to play with your food or are you going to eat that?" Stuart ask me that snapped me back to reality. I shrugged, I'm not hungry. "So you and Paul huh?" Shania playfully asks. I rolled my eyes. Since the day they found out we're partners, I can't get out from the teasing. "And so? It's just dance for grades" I said. "And he's the one who asks me" I add. "Yep, he goes to your house and gives your ID in exchange to be his partner," Lorence declared. I told them and now I regret it.

You might be wondering who's Paul. He's gentleman, caring, kind, respectful, annoying, irritating in the sight sometimes. He's also on the varsity team. Most of the girls in the school like him. Well, I don't. I don't know honestly. Her mom and my mom are friends. We're childhood friends but they move to California when we were 8 then got back to LA to continue their life here. We're classmates, he's also part of our little circle of friends. Those fools never get tired of teasing us. Well, I am.

"Ada? Hello? You still there?" Shania said waving her hands on my face getting my attention. "What?" I ask. "You know if you miss Paul, you just have to ask so we can get him" Shania tease me. I playfully slapped her shoulder and glared at her. This is what I'm talking about.

"Who misses me?" I look at my back and see him holding a tray with food. I glared at Shania and mouthed don't you dare, she smirked. "Us. Well someone who can't be named." She answers. I pinched her side, she yelp.

"Are you busy after class?" Stuart asked me to save my life from embarrassment. I nod. I have work in the shop, I need to be there since one of my workmates is sick. "Why not we go to the shop with you?" Paul suggest. "We all know that y'all not going to behave there so no. And I need to concentrate or I'll get fired" I said. "You can work, you won't know we're there. Promise" he said trying to convince me. I sigh. "Whatever. Just don't do anything stupid" I said. "YES!" all of them declared that caught everyone's attention.

"You talk to your mom?" Lorence asks me, changing the topic. "We do small talk like, hi, hello, are you hungry? What do you want? Then nothing more." I answer and he nods "you say she hugs you right? Maybe that's a sign?" He adds. I shrugged my shoulders. I don't know. "Maybe she's just in the mood," I said. They didn't ask for more. They talk about the homework we need to do, my attention is nowhere to be found.

------

It's our PE class. Last subject for the day. We change into our PE uniform. Sir Lance instruct us to sit beside our partners. We do as he said.

"Since this your last project for this quarter, this is by section. So better team up and work together. I want to see you all prepared and ready. I'll give you all 2 months to prepare since it's also your practice for your prom. Good luck" sir lance announced.

We go in start to practice. "Is it okay I hold your waist? I want you to feel comfortable" Paul said. I nod. I put my left hand on his shoulder and my right hand in my left hand too, holding it carefully. His right hand is on my waist. We start to sway in the music. I take the lead.

(A/N: I'm too lazy to write the details of the dance and I'm not a dancer.)

We keep on swaying and feeling the rhythm of the song. Laugh at each other's mistakes or when I accidentally stumble and when his foot goes in the wrong place. We get a water break. He gives me a water bottle and towel. "You okay? Do you need your inhaler?" He asks. I nod. My heartbeats are erratic and painful at the same time. He stands up and searches in his pocket.