Couldn't Run Forever

Outfit^^

I had been hidden for the rest of the day and only made my move in the night. I had eaten and even found somewhere to hold up to get some sleep. Bright and early in the morning I wanted to get as far away from the area as possible. I was walking through a park. My backpack slung over my shoulder lazily while I was eating a strawberry ice cream I purchased from the ice cream truck.

If living on the streets the past four months taught me anything it was how to pickpocket someone. I was sitting on a bench with my legs crossed and looking over the lake full of ducks. I looked around and spotted someone I recognised... He was there when I was shot. He was one of the goonies. That's what I called them anyway "goonies" I couldn't just call them "the bad people" because that's too much of a mouthful. I got up grabbing my bag and started walking in the opposite direction. When I turned around he was following me.

I cursed under my breath before starting to pick up the pace. I didn't notice the man I was passing until he was grabbing my arm. I turned to him and kicked him in the crotch. He doubled over falling the the ground and the other man sprinted at me. People started pulling out their phones instead of helping me which was quite rude. I ducked under his legs and turned around so I grabbed his ankles but he still tried to move forward. I made him fall face first and land on his friend who was trying to stand up. "Tell your boss to leave me alone." I ordered them before backing up and walking away in the opposite direction.  They wouldn't try anything else, not in a park full of these witnesses. They just didn't think I'd fight back the first time.

It was the evening now and I was sitting in a café reading a book... Trying to anyways, I was never very good at academics. I was more gifted physically rather than mentally. I was drinking my lemonade and highlighting the words I couldn't read so I knew to go back and learn them. Someone had to teach me, even if it was me. When the bell to the café wrung again I looked up and saw the man from NCIS. It was the older man, he came over and sat opposite me. "Hi, what ya reading?" He asked.

"I'm trying to read "A Series Of Unfortunate Events" but someone interrupted me." I smiled sarcastically. 

"I'm Gibbs." When I didn't reply he carried on. "Who were those men in the park?"

"I'll scream." I deadpanned looking up to him.

"I'm from NCIS. I just want to help you." Gibbs said calmly.

"I don't want help." I declined.

"The nurse told me, that you told her that your parents are dead?" Gibbs reminded me.

"They weren't biological but they were my parents." I nodded.

"Did they tell you?" Gibbs asked.

I laughed quietly. "They were both white. And they were very open about letting me know about my birth mother. Also my last name is Torres, theirs were Smith. Good people."

"What happened to them? If you don't mind me asking?" Gibbs smiled.

"I do mind." I nodded getting up and putting my book in my backpack.

"Look-" I cut Gibbs off my screaming at the top of my lungs. Everyone started looking concerned and Gibbs flashed them his badge and tried explaining while I slipped out the back door to an alley. To the right and onto the main street was being blocked by a pretty blonde girl. I pursed my lips together and looked to the left and saw a taller man who I hadn't seen before.

"Maraya Torres? We're NCIS." The man assured. I ignored him when I saw a ladder that led to the roof. I started to climb up when I felt a hand grab my backpack. I looked down to see the blonde girl.

"We're not gonna hurt you but you can't keep running. You need to let us help you." She smiled.

"Yea... I'm gonna say no." I nodded slipping my back pack off and climbing to the top as fast as I could. Before I could even register what was happening someone grabbed my hair and pulled me up so I was right on the edge. "Get off of me!" I screamed.

I saw Torres punch the guy off of me causing me to fall. I grabbed onto the ledge before I could fall off the ledge. I saw Gibbs putting handcuffs on the guy and that's when Torres noticed me. He quickly moved to help me but I couldn't hold on anymore. With a scream I let go but I felt someone grab my arm. "You're okay, you're okay. I got you." I looked up to see Torres laying on his front holding onto my left wrist. "You're not gonna fall." Torres assured pulling me up with ease.

When he got me up I wrapped my arms around his neck hugging him. I just needed someone to hold onto, his arms went around my back and I started crying. For the first time since my parents died, I cried. I never really had time to process the crap that happened and let myself cry so for the first time in four months I cried. In the arms of a complete stranger.